storms

Help Support CattleToday:

ffscj":3sym04cz said:
Does anybody know exactly where in east Florida D.R. lives?

i think he mentioned it (not exact location but generality) in a post once.

txag":1z7ivt02 said:
ffscj":1z7ivt02 said:

i think he mentioned it (not exact location but generality) in a post once.

this is the remark i was thinking of but it doesn't say how close he lives to where the dive.

"We dive in Vero Beach/Fort Pierce. Keys offers big volumes of lobster, but they are all small and you have to fight the yahoos. Not as many people here and our lobsters get huge..."

ffscj":3u5q5oud said:

Chris, he posted something a while back about selling his calves at Okeechobee and hauling them himself, if that helps any.

I haven't heard of any damage in that area but you never know. I'm sure he got some wind but I don't think it was as bad as in the inland areas. Sure hope I'm right.

certherfbeef":2kc6mewi said:
Any one heard from D.R.???????

I survived. I'm on the East Coast due East of Tampa. The ranch is about 30 miles inland. We got some pretty breezy conditions, moreso than the town of Vero. But really just enough to clean out dead wood from the trees. Our group has a 1,000 acre grove in Arcadia, and we procure 350,000 field boxes from a grove in Punta Gorda. No idea on the Punta Gorda grove yet, but our Arcadia grove obtained an 80% loss of this years crop. Not good news. Waiting to hear if the trees even survived. If one could make a map of the highest cattle producing areas of the state, the hurricane took exactly that path. Lot of farming and cattle on the lower west coast, then the biggest beef producing areas in the interior around Okeechobee, Osceola and Polk counties. The largest ranch in the US (possibly the world) in terms of head of cattle is the Morman's Deseret Ranch in Kissimmee. I've been wondering about those boys for a few days. I've been saddened for the last few days even having a glimpse of the suffering over there. I've been through a few canes, not as serious as this, and take my word for it, it defines misery. The stench of standing water, dead animals and backed up sewers. The scourge of mosquitos and other pests. No AC or water to take showers, wash clothes or cook. Most of the people affected are elderly so nearly helpless to begin with. As if it wasn't enough, the brave souls who stay in their home with no roof, are still getting hammered with more rain every afternoon. I'm gonna try and gather some fellas, chainsaws and power tools and go over and do some volunteer work this week. Thanks for the prayers and checking in on me.

Thanks for the report D.R.
Our prayers are with all of you. And God Bless you for helping others!!!

D.R. Cattle":1olg3mla said:
certherfbeef":1olg3mla said:

I survived. I'm on the East Coast due East of Tampa. The ranch is about 30 miles inland. If one could make a map of the highest cattle producing areas of the state, the hurricane took exactly that path. Lot of farming and cattle on the lower west coast, then the biggest beef producing areas in the interior around Okeechobee, Osceola and Polk counties. .

Glad to hear you came through it okay, DR.

I'm flying down next Monday to see what kind of damage we really had.
Our place is 10 miles north of Okeechobee, a mile or so east of 441, about 40 miles from the eastern coast.
We talked to the young man who's staying in the house. He says we didn't have any damage at all to the house, no major tree damage, but the pond now takes up over half of the property!

I heard that parts of Orlando got hit pretty bad. Some of airport terminal buildings, as well as planes, were damaged. The theme parks had some damage but were open for business on Saturday.

And heck, up here in Nebraska -- we're FREEZING!
Upper 60's to low 70's, with 50' for an overnight low!
It's downright COLD for August!
We run a seasonal bait/convenience store up here -- and our last season in business has not been a good one!
It rained for Memorial & 4th of July weekends. So there's 2 of the 3 major weekends shot, and now as the 3rd approaches, the area lakes are being shut down due to toxic algea. The only lakes still open and safe are the ones right down here close to us, and wouldn't you know it, it looks like its is going to be cooler than normal, so people won't be heading to the lakes in droves as they usually do.
I am so ready to get out of the bait business!

Ann B

Ann Bledsoe":1f2fxf4p said:
D.R. Cattle":1f2fxf4p said:
certherfbeef":1f2fxf4p said:

I survived. I'm on the East Coast due East of Tampa. The ranch is about 30 miles inland. If one could make a map of the highest cattle producing areas of the state, the hurricane took exactly that path. Lot of farming and cattle on the lower west coast, then the biggest beef producing areas in the interior around Okeechobee, Osceola and Polk counties. .

Glad to hear you came through it okay, DR.

I'm flying down next Monday to see what kind of damage we really had.
Our place is 10 miles north of Okeechobee, a mile or so east of 441, about 40 miles from the eastern coast.
We talked to the young man who's staying in the house. He says we didn't have any damage at all to the house, no major tree damage, but the pond now takes up over half of the property!

I heard that parts of Orlando got hit pretty bad. Some of airport terminal buildings, as well as planes, were damaged. The theme parks had some damage but were open for business on Saturday.

And heck, up here in Nebraska -- we're FREEZING!
Upper 60's to low 70's, with 50' for an overnight low!
It's downright COLD for August!
We run a seasonal bait/convenience store up here -- and our last season in business has not been a good one!
It rained for Memorial & 4th of July weekends. So there's 2 of the 3 major weekends shot, and now as the 3rd approaches, the area lakes are being shut down due to toxic algea. The only lakes still open and safe are the ones right down here close to us, and wouldn't you know it, it looks like its is going to be cooler than normal, so people won't be heading to the lakes in droves as they usually do.
I am so ready to get out of the bait business!

Ann B

If you're moving to Okeechobee you could probably still do well in the bait business. Lake is 105 miles wide, so plenty of fisherman from around the world. Best I can guess there won't be any problems with the cold once you make it to Okee. Can't even walk outside without drenching in your own sweat these days.

Beginning to assess AG related damage.

Busted grapefruit trees
BrokenTrunks.jpg

Demolished pump house on the reservoir
PumpHouse.jpg

Demolished shed for tools and such
ToolShedDemolished.jpg

This years grapefruit crop on the ground
9eef826b.jpg