Storm

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Well nothing happened until around 10 am. It started with a real light snow. Then around noon the snow and wind hit us pretty good. Roads were everything from wet to snow packed and icy. It did clear off for around 2-3 hours this afternoon until about 7 pm. Then all heck broke loose. Blowing snow, white out, and good size drifts.

Just got done doing a check and I am concerned that we have lost a calf in this storm.
Went down to check the bred cows and one of the pairs cows came up bawling around the corral, so I went out to see if I could find her calf with the rest of the bunch. I looked until my flashlight was almost dead and I was chilled to the bone, nothing. :(
Husband had rolled out 2 straw bales this afternoon before the worst part hit and that is just full of snow. I have the shed open down there, but none will go inside. I locked the bred cows in the barn for tonight. Going to go out looking again when it gets lighter, hopefully I find him alive and well.

yall sure did get hitt with a bad snow storm.i hope you find the calf.but i bet your right.in thinking that the storm got the calf.

The bawling cows sounds so familiar. During the storms of early April I plowed swaths with the Bobcat so the calves could get to their mothers. Cows followed me calling for their babies. If not for plowing those paths I would have lost the young ones. Its strange how the weather can be so nice, then within a few hours get so bad. I wish you the best of luck getting through this storm without losses.
My calves being wet and chilled for a couple days caught a bug and I ended up treating all the calves.
Watch for the loose yellow stuff. I used durvet oxytetracycline bolus, worked good.

Found the calf alive and well this morning while feeding.
Here is a picture of yesterday afternoon. Going to take me awhile to get them all posted
The drifts are so deep you can no longer see the rocks that are next to the shed.

Stormandother062.jpg

Here is up at our upper corrals you can see how deep the drifts are here, think of how deep they are in the bottom of the coulees. Sorry no pics from there yet. I took them with a regular camera because the digital had been left in the pickup last night.
Yes the wind is blowing pretty good.

Stormandother071.jpg

WOW you did get alot of snow dumped on you.snow equals water to make the grass grow.but i know you dont like dealing with it this late in the year.so glad that you found the calf alive.

WOW! that stuff makes me feel cold just looking at it, glad you found the calf....and your Corgi looks like you could just about find him/her also...

Tempature records fell all over last night. We were at 0 degrees at 6:45 am. It was -6 south of us.

Chrisy that spoiled dog was outside long enough for him to do his business and then he spends the rest of his time chasing the cats through the house, sleeping on the couch or laying on my lap. He does love the snow though.

Latest posts