storm shelters

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder":1x8gb0oc said:
Lammie":1x8gb0oc said:
I am am more afraid of most of the cellers I've seen than I am of tornadoes. I've never been in a tornado, though. I'm sure I'd change my mind real fast. Storm shelters I have seen are standing in water mostly. We keep talking about getting one, though.
If you hear one a'coming and you aint skart :shock: then you are unconcious, very drunk, or a better man than I am.

Problem with storm shelters is you have to be home and have enough time to get in it.

I think it was Fall, '94 a tornado passed about 400 yards from my home. I heard that oncoming train and headed to the basement, my ears popped, and it was gone. I went back to the sofa.

Base ments are not an option around here. The soil shrinks and swells too much. The foundation repair companies make fortunes on just repairing slabs. Practically every large brick structure has cracked bricks. Some brand new schools around here have cracked brick lines when the ground gets dry.

We get innundated with cable lock foundation repair television commercials daily.

This is why most everyone buys the drop in units around here. Dig a hole and set the small unit in.

I'd go with a sea-land container (ocean shipping container) now that I have seen someone make one work.

This house has a room inside it that meets the specs for storms. You can order the specs from Texas Tech. Its not hard to do. Also, when I framed it, I used the old fashion wind bracing but instead of 1 by 4's, I used steel bands. We took a direct hit from a small tornado several years back. We lost shingles and some windows.

Latest posts