Storm on the gulf killed 300 head

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A 96 year old local man died today. Buggar was his nickname. His family and mine were intertwined from way back. I didnt know him well but I did know his brother(Mr Dan). Mr Dan told me many stories of cattle roaming our area before the stock law. He talked about the first brahman on Dauphin Island and how hard it was transporting them from the island on a 40ft barge across the Mississippi Sound to send to a packer in Mobile. I enjoyed his tales. I was doing a some history research on their family after I heard of Buggar's passing and came across this bit of information on a 1740 hurricane. I couldn't find much more info but still found it interesting.
"Storm on the gulf killed 300 head of cattle on Dauphin Island
A destructive cyclone on the Gulf coast in 1740, totally ruined the rice crop, and much privation resulted. More than 300 head of cattle were drowned on Dauphin Island."

Interesting what you can find when you dig a bit. Lot of forgotten history here as well and this is one reason I like to talk to old people to hear their stories.

Jogeephus":191vllnj said:
Interesting what you can find when you dig a bit. Lot of forgotten history here as well and this is one reason I like to talk to old people to hear their stories.
I keep saying I was going to audio record some of the old timers telling stories but keep putting it off. Most of them are gone now.

One of my favorite old folks was a neighbor who started dropping by when I picked up some new land. I didn't know him from Adam but he was friendly enough and would always stop by to visit when he saw me working. Sometimes I really didn't have the time but had to make it. In time I looked forward to his visits and was more than happy to make time. He had some good stories about things that never made it in history books.