Storm ARGH!

Help Support CattleToday:

Suzie Q

Reaction score
The day started out foggy, just like this morning and that usually means when the fog lifts and we have a very hot, fine day.

Hubby took the day off work and we tried to set up the back scratches for the cattle. We are new to that so it took a while. Hubby put the drum up on top of a post and I told him that would be no good if hit by a 100km/hr wind. So he used some cord and tied it down on all four sides.

We finally let the cattle out who have been above the house for what seems like months now.

The storm hit that afternoon and it was wild. At least the lightning didn't hit the house, but I think it did hit one of our old sheds and it is now gone. sniff.

DSCF0457small.jpg

Another old shed had tin taken off the back.

DSCF0462small.jpg

Where the tank is now missing, and so not protecting the house the wind and so I presume rain came in the window.

DSCF0460small.jpg

The windows were open in the kitchen and the door in the laundry so wind and rain all in there.

Water was dripping from the roof which we have never had before. I think that maybe rain got taken by wind somewhere as I don't think it dripped later when it started raining again.

DSCF0455small.jpg

DSCF0456small.jpg

Over 50 mm the first time, but it kept raining afterwards. The electricity went off for the longest it has been since we have been here. From mid afternoon until about 11.30pm, so I guess not that long compared to some people.

The drum did stay on the post. My neighbour said that from the road all you could see was a stream of water coming down our hill. We were flooded again, so I had to move the cattle above the house again.

The water has gone this morning, so they must not have been hit by the the storm upstream as that usually takes 12 hours to reach us.

I have my finger's crossed that the fencing I put up yesterday is still there and I have opened the gate for them to go back down, but at the moment they are still sleeping. I just had to go out and put back together a cow and her calf.

So out there in my wellies and my new Crazy Daisy with a cow 'nightie' , coaxing a calf through 3 different gates - and afterwards while I am patting Twiggy still snoozing in the dairy, Curly had the hide to be scared of me and take the calf away when she must have been here for more than 5 years now.!!!!

I have to admit I will take any good luck vibes sent my way!!

I guess the 12 hours is up from the water coming from upstream. The water from our rain yesterday was going down this moring, but the water has come up again now.