Storing wet brewers grain

Help Support CattleToday:

wbenchfarms

Reaction score
I have a chance to get wet brewers grain. Small batches at first hopefully more later on. Probably 600-2000 lbs per week to start. If we were getting full truckloads the storage would be easy, but with the smaller amount didn't know if we could pile it and cover it and add to the pile as we go and not risk too much spoilage. Any input is appreciated.

I have fed wet brewers in the past with good results. Mine was dumped in a large silage type bag and it kept really well.
If I knew I would be feeding it regularly then I would pour a slab, dump it and cover with a tarp. Wet brewers grain lasts better in the winter than summer. When we fed it in hot weather, we always bought the bag for storage.
How many head of cattle will you be feeding? Wet brewers grain is wet and can not be counted the same as dry feed. I would venture to say you could feed brewers grain free choice. Some brewers grain is just moist, some will have enough moisture to flow. 2,000lb. of wet brewers grain is not a lot of feed.
You may have enough cattle to eventually just pour it in troughs and let them eat. ( once their system became accustomed to it)

Used to get it in plastic barrels. That would be about 8? barrels perhaps We tried covering them at first with the lids, but they'd gas up and the barrel would pressure up. So we just left them uncovered and it was fine. Slight mold/crust on the top.

Pain in the butt to deal with though so we got out of it, wasn't worth the hassle even for free.. Its 75% water. Consistency helps too, having a bunch one week and none the next isn't good either.

I get 2000 lbs or more a week free. What I get is 50% or less water. 55 gal drum weighs 400 lbs. I've gotten 3000 lbs this week. They love it. Keeps them in good condition thru winter and eat less hay.

wbenchfarms":qzvryduy said:
I have a chance to get wet brewers grain. Small batches at first hopefully more later on. Probably 600-2000 lbs per week to start. If we were getting full truckloads the storage would be easy, but with the smaller amount didn't know if we could pile it and cover it and add to the pile as we go and not risk too much spoilage. Any input is appreciated.
Why not just buy DDG and feed much less of it. Storage, waste and spoilage won't be a problem and it's a better product then give them all the hay they need.

GMN":1s33ks5m said:
Is that the pellet form?
You might can find it pelletized but it's hard to make a good pellet with it because of the high fat content. Usually just a meal.

I get 4-5,000 lbs a week and feed it all at once free choice to about 40 head. Been doing it this way for several yrs with no trouble.

jedstivers":3twd8r50 said:
TexasBred":3twd8r50 said:
GMN":3twd8r50 said:
Is that the pellet form?
You might can find it pelletized but it's hard to make a good pellet with it because of the high fat content. Usually just a meal.
I'm feeding the Dakota Gold DDG now and really like it. Feeding it and whole corn.
Awesome product with a lot of quality control behind it. Should be working well for you Jed.

I started storing in 55 gal plastic barrels w/lids and rings. Fill to top and have fed 2-3 months later. It turns to seilege and smells sweet. They love It too. I do that when I get too much.

Don't your barrels expand? When I first started I tried the lid thing and then one day BOOM! It sprung the latch on one and the cover was 15 ft away.

A guy I know just asked me the other day if I ever fed wet brewers grain. I figured it was the wet version of ddg's. He said he gets his in the plastic, metal caged tanks/totes, with the top cut out. He scoops to a bucket or dips bucket to remove when feeding. He knows a guy who gets it from the brewery and sells it for 35 bucks for a tote, which weighs 3k lbs. I asked, but he didn't know what the moisture content was. He said you could dip out a hole, water wouldn't immediately fill the hole, but would have a little bit of water in the hole the next day. I am not familiar with it wet. What is the common moisture content? This guy is too far from me to go get any of it, economically I think. Three hours or so away.

talltimber":z4dd1qy2 said:
A guy I know just asked me the other day if I ever fed wet brewers grain. I figured it was the wet version of ddg's. He said he gets his in the plastic, metal caged tanks/totes, with the top cut out. He scoops to a bucket or dips bucket to remove when feeding. He knows a guy who gets it from the brewery and sells it for 35 bucks for a tote, which weighs 3k lbs. I asked, but he didn't know what the moisture content was. He said you could dip out a hole, water wouldn't immediately fill the hole, but would have a little bit of water in the hole the next day. I am not familiar with it wet. What is the common moisture content? This guy is too far from me to go get any of it, economically I think. Three hours or so away.
The best will be about 60-65% water. Anything more than that and it gets pretty expensive when you calculate the actual amount of dry matter you're getting from it. Use to get brewers grain for $35 a ton delivered from the brewery in dump trailers but that was long ago. Beer use to be $.25 a can too. :lol:

Talltimber brewers grain is the grain residue from the manufactuer of beer. Most wet distillers grain these days comes from the production of ethanol. Use to come from the whiskey distillers and was an even better product.

Latest posts