storing ground ear corn

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm going to look at the supposedly 60 tons of ear corn tomorrow. Even if it's only 40-50 tons and I get it all ground what are some ways to store it economically? Right now we have no place but will get one, build one, or buy one if it pecnils out.

Cheapest would be in exsisting building but if I remember correctly you do not have one. One way would be 4 - 50 foot rolls of picket or plastic snow fence. Fasten two rolls end to end for 100 foot make a circle and put steel posts every 6-8 fence around the circumference. Then pile the corn with an elevator dumping it into the center. Ear corn piled into it will be about 319 bushels per foot of depth so at 4 foot deep you will have 1276 bushels and each foot above that in the peak/cone will add about 107 bushels so if you have a 5 foot peak on the 31 foot diameter pile you will have 535 added bushels. The two extra rolls are if there are more bushels than guesstimated. Then just grind the corn on an as needed basis. You could cover it with plastic to protect from spring rains until it is used.

Latest posts