Storing feed in old grain bin

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
We are getting setup to background our calves and the first order of business is feed storage. We have an old grain bin (12 ft.) that is sitting in a perfect location. We can spend about $150 and pour concrete in the floor and build some type of a door system I guess for getting the feed out. We were looking at building a feed shed, but to build one that will hold what this bin will, it is going to cost us about $800. Do any of you use a bin like this for storing your feed? What is the best/easiest setup for getting the feed out of the bin without an auger? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Zach

I'd put alittle money in the grain bin and use it. I really don't have any feed storage, use and old plywood box that holds 60 bushels. The grain bin will work fine, just put pour the concrete and put on a door that will seal it form the weather and mice.

Bobg

Not to be a smarty pants, but the way we get barley out of our grainery everyday is without an auger.

We use a wonderful invention called 'cleaned hydraulic oil buckets' (the big ones).

During the drought, we hand pailed 500lbs into a little old one ton dually and then hand pailed it out for the cows when we got to the pasture. Every day (even I was starting to get a killer set of pipes... which is all fine and dandy on a gent, but yikes on a lady!) and all winter. Sure was glad to see grass in the spring. ;-)

Currently we're pailing everyday for the yearlings. Takes a bit of time, but then again, we've got a fair bit of that here on the ranch.

Works well and you don't have to worry about getting your scarf caught in the auger or a PTO shaft.

Having said this, we do have to borrow a neighbour's auger (we're lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood where all of us freely lend and borrow tools/implements/labour from each other as needed) when we have to fill the grainery from the grain farmer's truck.

I suppose a person could unload a grain truck by hand, but I've a feeling that the grain farmer would get a little teed off about standing around for the amount of time it would take to do it by hand.

Sounds like you've got an excellent venture lined up with your calves.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":2uhk8o74 said:
Not to be a smarty pants, but the way we get barley out of our grainery everyday is without an auger.

We use a wonderful invention called 'cleaned hydraulic oil buckets' (the big ones).

Another look.........A little background first. For our marketing group before the calves go to the backgrounder they are supposed to be eating 2% of their bodyweight of a (fairly) common ration. The folks that were feeding with buckets generally didn;t have their calves up to that point when they went to the backgrounder. He was able to identify which producers hadn;t gotten their calves up to the 2% point strictly by the calves intake at his place and how long it took them to get up to full feed even when it was avaialble. The majority of the producers are in the older bracket and hauling a couple fewer buckets a day makes a difference.

dun

I'd also estimate how long feed will stay in the bin. Ground feed doesn't keep nearly as well as whole corn, so you need to use it before it starts to spoil. Ours is sized about right for our operation; A little too big when the steers are young, and a little to small when they are almost finished. When they are young, sometimes the feed starts to stick to the sides and get a little off smell, and when they are fat, we have to fill it a little too often.

I got my wife do take over the push mower by pointing out what a great buns of steel workout it provided! I did not try to sell firm pipes from a 5 gallon pail work out it is worth a thought... Cattle Annie - - can I use you as a reference?

The other option to a poured floor is to jack your bin up and put a gravity bin bottom under it. You would still need a cement base so it would be more money.

Roto molded PP plastic bins are available is some areas. They are a cheap way to go for new construction but I am not sure on the durable life. Any experience with them out there???

CattleAnnie":2hkrmcax said:

During the drought, we hand pailed 500lbs into a little old one ton dually and then hand pailed it out for the cows when we got to the pasture. Every day (even I was starting to get a killer set of pipes... which is all fine and dandy on a gent, but yikes on a lady!) and all winter. Sure was glad to see grass in the spring. ;-)

Currently we're pailing everyday for the yearlings. Takes a bit of time, but then again, we've got a fair bit of that here on the ranch.

Works well and you don't have to worry about getting your scarf caught in the auger or a PTO shaft.

Having said this, we do have to borrow a neighbour's auger (we're lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood where all of us freely lend and borrow tools/implements/labour from each other as needed) when we have to fill the grainery from the grain farmer's truck.

I suppose a person could unload a grain truck by hand, but I've a feeling that the grain farmer would get a little teed off about standing around for the amount of time it would take to do it by hand.

Sounds like you've got an excellent venture lined up with your calves.

Take care.

Alright CA - you wanna get this old heart palpitating - a set of pipes on a fit lady is a head turner every time!!

I am with you we still use the old "auto pail" method and it works - seldom breaks down and keeps the electricity bill down.

:lol:

Bez!

Latest posts