Storage of hay question

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good way to store their hay other than putting it under a roof. I don't have the budget yet to build a good barn or shelter yet. I am going to need around 200 bales this year and want to limit the waste. Also, is there anything about the cattle business that isn't expensive? Thanks

Pharmer wrote
Also, is there anything about the cattle business that isn't expensive?

I doubt it.

As to the question, I've seen where people have stacked the hay on numerous rows of pallets, and covered with good quality hay tarps. Not much waste that I have seen, and seems to work well. The bales/rolls on the ends will get yellowed, and depending on how high they are stacked and the size of the tarp, some of the end rolls/bales get some mold/water "damage" but only on the outside of the roll/bale.

Katherine

We store round bales on a raised bed of limestone for water runoff. That's probably the least expensive route.

And no.. there isn't anything about raising cattle that isn't expensive. :roll:

I have read many articles on the best way to keep hay. To store hay outdoors first the hay needs to be tight bales. Hay that is net wrapped repels moisture and maintains the quality. Stacking the bales end to end and the sides not touching so that moisture can evaporate is supposed to help maintain your bales. We have done it this way for years quite successfully. Make sure it is where water can run off like on a hill not in a valley. Moisture is the thief of hay. It robs it of quality.

The cattle business is not a cheap business but you can make money by working smart. :D

Once the sheds are full, we stack it and tarp it. No, there is not anything that is not expensive about the cattle business.

Here in the NW, where we have rain :D , I've seen many stacks tarped sitting on pallets. But even on pallets you still lose most of the bottom bales. I have laid plywood on the pallets and put the hay on top of that, it worked very well, but I believe a tarp on top of the pallets to keep ground moister out would work also. Then of course tarp over the hay.

I have found that when I sell the cattle it gets cheaper :D But I also spend much more on he cattle then we make off them.

Alan

Pharmer":1rw5qhz6 said:
Does anyone have a good way to store their hay other than putting it under a roof. I don't have the budget yet to build a good barn or shelter yet. I am going to need around 200 bales this year and want to limit the waste. Also, is there anything about the cattle business that isn't expensive? Thanks
===========
Pharmer,
Free?....Yes! :shock: We use the small rear tactor tires....F-4000-5000 size(they're free from the local tire shop!!!!!!!!)...put em' along the edge of the woods and and tarp em' down. Don't rot like ...poles....pallets,etc. We have several hundred for our outside hay...the 1500# round bales will flaten them...but still of the ground...water runs around the tire/bale...been there for years. But watch it in the lfall/spring....the snakes love them :mad: ...cool...wet...mice. We fed hay early last fall...august....every time we moved a bale...had to kill a snake. 8)

Here's an inexpensive way to cover hay rolls without having to pay for a tarp.

Items: Roll of heavy baler twine, Roll(s) of 10' X 100' heavy mil black plastic.

(1) Pick a well drained area.
(2) Put 2 lengths of twine, long enough to wrap around a bale & tie the ends, on the ground about 2' apart.
(3) Set a bale on top of the twine.
(4) Continue step #2 & #3 until the desired row length is acheived.
(5) Place your black plastic on top leaving 18" - 24" open at the bottom on each side.
(6) Pull up up your twine and tie.

This system breathes well, is disposable & cheap, and prevents water from soaking into the top of the bales. The plastic lasts about 9 months. The UV will eventually take its toll on the plastic around the February time frame, but the hay is in much better shape than had it not been covered. This system does not trap moisture under the cover to cause the development of mold like some tarp systems do.

As I use the hay, I pick up the strings for each bale and I trim the black plastic to the edge of my shortening row periodically. When my last hay bale is used, my field is cleaned up and ready to grow grass without any additional work.

Now, about that inexpensive cattle business question. :roll:

rwtherefords":23660uoi said:
Here's an inexpensive way to cover hay rolls without having to pay for a tarp.

Items: Roll of heavy baler twine, Roll(s) of 10' X 100' heavy mil black plastic.

(1) Pick a well drained area.
(2) Put 2 lengths of twine, long enough to wrap around a bale & tie the ends, on the ground about 2' apart.
(3) Set a bale on top of the twine.
(4) Continue step #2 & #3 until the desired row length is acheived.
(5) Place your black plastic on top leaving 18" - 24" open at the bottom on each side.
(6) Pull up up your twine and tie.

This system breathes well, is disposable & cheap, and prevents water from soaking into the top of the bales. The plastic lasts about 9 months. The UV will eventually take its toll on the plastic around the February time frame, but the hay is in much better shape than had it not been covered. This system does not trap moisture under the cover to cause the development of mold like some tarp systems do.

As I use the hay, I pick up the strings for each bale and I trim the black plastic to the edge of my shortening row periodically. When my last hay bale is used, my field is cleaned up and ready to grow grass without any additional work.

Now, about that inexpensive cattle business question. :roll:
==========

rw....,

I didn't mention ....we create a hip type canopy by tieing the plastic down along the end of the bales ..about every 10' or so....leaving exposure about 1 to 2 ' up from the ground...for airing.

On the UV effect..thats why we put the hay along the edge of the woods ..under shade...it helps.

I like your configuration. Eliminates all the tie downs along the ends of the hay rolls. Huuummm!

The edge of the plastic must flop a lot in the wind?...nothing to hold it down.

Do you just pull the string tight by hand ...or use some type of come-a-long to tighten it a bit.....or what?

How many bales do you put side by side before you end the run and tie off? I guess one could put as many as desired. Thnking about a long string stretching...a lot.... under wind pressure.

Also, what purpose does the string running under the bales serve? Other than as end to end tie offs. Couldn't one just run the string over the top of the bales and tie off at the end of the run of bales to a tie down stake? Could save 1/2 string useage.(yep....i'm frugile!!!...in this business...guess we gotta be).

Think i'll give it a try this season.

I don't think you got the picture right. Remember, my instructions said to put 2 peices of twine down, then set 1 bale, put 2 peices of twine down, then set another bale,.........................

The bales are set end to end for as long as you want (like a long sausage). Obviously, 100' of plastic only covers 100' so you can overlap another 100' roll and continue on as long as you wish. The twine (~12' pieces) run crosswise, so the plastic is tied to the "bale sausage" every 2' for its entire length.

With the twine set 2' apart on a 5X5 bale, the twine wraps over the bale after you roll out your plastic. You tie the end from one side to the other end of the same piece of twine from the opposite side. It's tied with a half hitch & a half hitch loop so all you have to do is pull the tag end to untie it.

As far as the wind flopping, there isn't any to speak of. On the first and last bales I set the twine within 6" of the edge of the bale so that part (6") flops a bit, but that's all.

Pharmer,

Notice I keep referring to baling twine in my previous post. Since you're a "phrugal pharmer" :D , I'd highly recommend that you go to your local Co-op and purchase some of the heavy plastic baling twine. There's 1001 uses for it around the farm, and I don't think you can purchase rope, string, twine, etc. of equal strength any cheaper.

My free advice is worth twice what you paid for it, guaranteed! :D

rwtherefords":2ruzkky5 said:
Pharmer,

Notice I keep referring to baling twine in my previous post. Since you're a "phrugal pharmer" :D , I'd highly recommend that you go to your local Co-op and purchase some of the heavy plastic baling twine. There's 1001 uses for it around the farm, and I don't think you can purchase rope, string, twine, etc. of equal strength any cheaper.

My free advice is worth twice what you paid for it, guaranteed! :D
===========
rw,
I got the picture. End of bale to end...i was thinking side to side. Thanks!

I consider all advice...worthy....until discounted. Use baline twine for everthing. The place may collapse if all were taken away :lol:

Latest posts