Stopping oil leaks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Had a tractor with a bad seal on it. Oil was leaking into the clutch area and dripping out the weep hole. It wasn't much of a leak but it did require about a quart of oil every month to keep it right. Just enough to bother me. Only way to properly fix it was to break the entire tractor into. Quite a job. Instead of doing this I decided to try some Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. It is supposed to freshen the seals and stop the leaks. It took about two weeks but the oil leak has completely stopped. I'm happy with this product and thought I'd pass this on.

jedstivers":1a6jry5r said:
Lucas makes some good stuff. We also use their fuel injector cleaner and use oil additive in the hubs on the big trucks.

With so many gimmics out there I was really pleased it worked. Saved me several hundred bucks for sure.

Lucas does make good stuff. I use it in all my vehicles... the oil condidtioner, injector cleaner, transmission conditioner.
Glad to hear it worked like it was supposed to. I have also used Valvoline power steering leak sealer in a power steering box that had a seal leaking, and it sealed it in about a week, and never leaked again.

The leak sealers that condition the seals are usually a good way to go. The ones that claim to stop any leak wll either not work at all or clog up ports that need to be open. Ron

never2old2learn-ron":3sik5tgs said:
The leak sealers that condition the seals are usually a good way to go. The ones that claim to stop any leak wll either not work at all or clog up ports that need to be open. Ron

I agree stop leak in raditor usually stops more than leak.
I also like lucas oil treatment.Good for rod and main bearings in high milage motors.
I've also used brake fluid in power steering to try and swell o rings.Sometime works sometimes doesn't.

Jogeephus":2lb2bvfv said:
Had a tractor with a bad seal on it. Oil was leaking into the clutch area and dripping out the weep hole. It wasn't much of a leak but it did require about a quart of oil every month to keep it right. Just enough to bother me. Only way to properly fix it was to break the entire tractor into. Quite a job. Instead of doing this I decided to try some Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. It is supposed to freshen the seals and stop the leaks. It took about two weeks but the oil leak has completely stopped. I'm happy with this product and thought I'd pass this on.

Jogee, I'd like to hear back from you in a couple of months on this. Most of those "seal renewers" contain a solvent that softens the rubber or neoprene but after a while the material gets really hard and now you've got a hospital bill.

lavacarancher":3ayvzc3j said:
Jogeephus":3ayvzc3j said:

Jogee, I'd like to hear back from you in a couple of months on this. Most of those "seal renewers" contain a solvent that softens the rubber or neoprene but after a while the material gets really hard and now you've got a hospital bill.

I hope this isn't the case. Nevertheless, if I delayed breaking the tractor in half for a few months this will be fine with me. I'll surely post my rant if it comes back to haunt me.

Jogeephus":1os5hcg2 said:
lavacarancher":1os5hcg2 said:
Jogeephus":1os5hcg2 said:

I hope this isn't the case. Nevertheless, if I delayed breaking the tractor in half for a few months this will be fine with me. I'll surely post my rant if it comes back to haunt me.

Before anyone tries the brake fluid trick it can work but it can also screw up the o-rings.Just thought I better put on a disclaimer.Also a trick a car lot buddy told me is to put brake fluid on tires to make them shine but will also make them dry rot faster.Also fuel on paint job will bring out luster but will also make dust stick to it like glue.

I once used liquid glass poured into the coolant system of my car to seal a hairline crack in a head and leaking head gaskett. Worked like a charm never had trouble again. 3.00 at the pharmacy.

Sodium Silicate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

Look under automotive repair. I dont believe wikipedia very often but this is right on

Latest posts