Stop Using Modified Live Vaccines-------Abort

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
See:
Stop Using Modified Live Vaccines On Breeding Cattle

Evidence is mounting that modified-live IBR vaccines are causing abortions and unsettled cows.
In 2004 the FDA approved the labeling of MLV IBR vaccines for use in pregnant cows after the cow had been vaccinated with the same MLV prior to breeding. This two-part labeling instruction is very specific and was intended to protect the cow from abortion. However, researchers are now finding a first MLV vaccination given to open cows does not prevent the second MLV vaccine from causing abortions.
http://farmprogress.com/story-stop-usin ... le-0-64594

Also see: http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-res ... 25431.html

Son of Butch

Thanks for the appreciation, I don't get much of that on this board.

Re:
In addition to abortions, I've seen articles on MLV linked to lower 1st service conception rates.
I have too.
This has been an issue of discussion for over 4 years in the think tank.
But it is just now that someone has finally got the gonads to say it publicly.
Thanks again
SL

My vet had recommended NOT giving MLV vaccinations to pregnant cows years ago as he had seen what he believed to be many abortions from this practice and felt that the risk was too great and not worth gambling.

Sir Loin":3vwqgksc said:
See:
Stop Using Modified Live Vaccines On Breeding Cattle

Evidence is mounting that modified-live IBR vaccines are causing abortions and unsettled cows.
In 2004 the FDA approved the labeling of MLV IBR vaccines for use in pregnant cows after the cow had been vaccinated with the same MLV prior to breeding. This two-part labeling instruction is very specific and was intended to protect the cow from abortion. However, researchers are now finding a first MLV vaccination given to open cows does not prevent the second MLV vaccine from causing abortions.
http://farmprogress.com/story-stop-usin ... le-0-64594

Also see: http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-res ... 25431.html

Been using them for years with agreat deal of success

However - they must NOT be used on BRED cattle - and - if memory serves without looking it up - these vaccines should NOT be used on cows that have calves sucking

When I read the directions on the bottle this is clearly stated

Anyone giving them to pregnant cows should expect potential trouble

Vaccinate and booster if required - then and only then - turn them out with the bull

Otherwise no troubles to date - tough to find a time a cow is not bred or has a calf sucking - so these vaccines are a bit of a specialty thing in my mind.

Unfortunately many people have been known to operate without reading the instructions

This can, at times can cause some difficulties - which in turn causes people to complain - yet the complainer often simply needs to look in the mirror to see the origin of their problem. LOL

As with most things - done right you will not run into trouble.

Best to all

Bez

Some of the MLV vaccines state they ARE safe for pregnant cows or ones nursing calves, depending on what the vaccine is for and which manufacturer. These are the ones I am speaking of.

i use MLV all the time i calve in Sept and Oct i vaccinate 1st week of Nov A I first week of Dec always min of 21 days before breeding date never had any problems. Even though mine have been on MLV for years id never use it on a pregnant cow.

Some of you still don't get it. You have been culling open cows because of the vaccs you have been giving. There are studies suggesting they were wrong. A pregnant cow vaccinated with a live vaccine can abort even when she has had the vaccine before.

Yes and no on this one guys. The article in the link above has some parts right, but has misquoted at least one veterinarian in there. I just received an email back; he was one of my favorite undergrad instructors and he sent me the JAVMA article where the findings were originally published. Yes, they did have a 25% incidence of abortion between 40 and 60 some days after vaccination, and yes all fetal tissues tested had IBR virus present. No, it was not linked to early embryonic death. The first calf heifer group had been vaccinated in previous years prior to breeding and then at ~5-6 months of gestation, and in previous years they had not had problems with that protocol. The year that they had problems, the heifer group was vaccinated at 7-8 months of gestation (after having been vaccinated 3x pre-breeding following labeled instructions). Other veterinarians had found a increased incidence of abortion when animals were vaccinated with the MLV after ~5.5 months of gestation. Earlier than that did not cause abortion.

The issue with the MLV containing IBR is not that they decrease pregnancy rates (early embryonic death), but that they have been linked to an increased incidence of third-trimester abortion - and not immediately after vaccination; it was >40 days after vaccination. Still safe to give pre-breeding. No indication they are going to cause disease directly or indirectly with first/second trimester vaccination.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater here- MLV are still excellent choices for a vaccine protocol and do provide long-lasting, good protection.

Based on this i would not use an mlv

http://farmprogress.com/beef-producer-s ... e-14-64594

"You're giving an abortifacient agent to a pregnant cow," Barling says. "The bovine species is the one of the few if any animal species that has a label for MLV use during pregnancy. MLV's are harmful to the fetus. The developing bovine fetus is no exception."

IBR is well known as a respiratory disease in stocker and feedlot cattle but this role as an abortion-causing agent is less well understood, says Clinton Jones, a biomedical professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

In fact, Jones says, both the virulent strains of IBR and the modified live vaccine strains of IBR go into a form of "latency" -- more or less a hibernation -- after the animals' bodies overcome them. The animals will carry these latent organisms the rest of their lives and the IBR can be awakened from latency and become active again by a stressful event such as pregnancy or a immune suppression

What about non-IBR MLV vaccines such as those to protect against Rotaviruses and Coronaviruses that cause scours? These are intended to be given to bred cattle during the last six weeks of the term in order that the colostrum will contain antibodies for these organisms. For example, Calf-Guard by Pfizer which is a MLV vaccine. I think you mean only MLV IBR vaccines, right? I hope so, I just ordered Calf-Guard and it requires innoculation during pregnancy. :shock:

inyati,
The MLV rota/corona vaccines should pose no threat - but I will recommend that you consider giving them perhaps a bit earlier - recent studies have shown that colostral antibody levels are pretty well 'set' at their maximum level by 5 weeks pre-calving - so, anything that you're trying to do, in the way of boosting colostral antibodies - needs to be done well in advance of that 5-week 'cutoff' date.
I'd have some concern that a CalfGuard vaccination 6 weeks out will not provide sufficient time for IgA production, at least as far as colostral antibodies are concerned; however, let me backtrack for a moment and reassess the situation: absorbed colostral antibodies don't provide significant protection against rota/coronaviruses - you need 'local' IgA, present in the gut lumen to tie those up, and 6 weeks pre-calving should be plenty of time to get that udder's immune system primed to be producing those antibodies to act as 'antiseptic paint' to protect the calf during the first 30 days or so of the postpartum period. Studies even as far back as the late 1980s showed that vaccinated heifers were still passing detectable anti-coronavirus antibodies in their milk 30 days post-calving.
Carry on...

Latest posts