stop a heifer from kicking

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
Howdy I have a 1 year old heifer that I have halter broke she is pretty tame you can pet her ,brush, feed out of your hand but occasionally she tries to kick you. She has only connected once and it sucked![/img] :x She doesn't seem to be getting startled.Any suggestions? thanks

She has only connected once and it sucked![/img] [/quote]
It sure does, doesn't it? :D

Take a broom and tie her up and everyday/time you tie the heifer up rub it up and down her legs for about 10 min. She mite kick a few times but keep going. If she is yelling and kicking stop rubbing her go up to the heifer talk to her and pet her. Remember dont beat unless you have to. Do that as often as you can you should see results in 2-3 weeks. Sometimes they kick because they dont know your coming so before you walk up to her make a noise are yell hoe or hay. To let her know your there and not going to hurt her. Always turn your butt to her it does not hurt as bad if she kicks you in the butt as it would in the knee or leg. Be gentle and after 3-4 weeks if she is still kicking tie her head up high high and slap her a few good ones then leave her alone for 15 min. then come back and try again. This usally works for me. Then after she knows not to kick every time she does it hit her so she wont do it again. If the animal does a bad thing you want that to be a bad experience so she does not do it again. Good things good experiences. If she is she doing this after a month are so PM me and tell me what is going on with her I can maybe try and help you out some more. Hope this helps!!!! :D HAve a good one!!

Circle C Ranches":78eh6plm said:
Take a broom and tie her up and everyday/time you tie the heifer up rub it up and down her legs for about 10 min. She mite kick a few times but keep going. If she is yelling and kicking stop rubbing her go up to the heifer talk to her and pet her. Remember dont beat unless you have to. Do that as often as you can you should see results in 2-3 weeks. Sometimes they kick because they dont know your coming so before you walk up to her make a noise are yell hoe or hay. To let her know your there and not going to hurt her. Always turn your butt to her it does not hurt as bad if she kicks you in the butt as it would in the knee or leg. Be gentle and after 3-4 weeks if she is still kicking tie her head up high high and slap her a few good ones then leave her alone for 15 min. then come back and try again. This usally works for me. Then after she knows not to kick every time she does it hit her so she wont do it again. If the animal does a bad thing you want that to be a bad experience so she does not do it again. Good things good experiences. If she is she doing this after a month are so PM me and tell me what is going on with her I can maybe try and help you out some more. Hope this helps!!!! :D HAve a good one!!
Thanks I tried the broom she didn't seem to mind didn't kick at all, I figure once I start to trust her again thats when she will get me! Last time she kicked me after I said ###@@@!#!@##@ I kicked her back. Kind of a bad reflex but maybe it helped.

I never had a kicker but my freind did. she tied a milk jug to the end of that calfs tail and let him kick at it while it hit his legs and finally he stopped and he never kicked again(till she put too much glue in his legs while boneing them!)

Tie her up and roll a ball under her and in between her legs. Several times. Or even a tin can tied to the end of a rope, throw it under her, just make sure you don't hit her with it.

mom

I was doing a bit of this myself today with my steer. I used a tarp and some pvc pipe. Get them used to all sorts of things, make loud noises but show them they wont get hurt. If she does kick give her a smack or two.

i think she just wants you to know she can kick you if she wants to. just be careful. if she does it again though, i'd beat her ice.

cowboy13":3jarxfb9 said:
Sullivans sells a device called Can't Kick and it works also.

Dairy anti-kicking device, isn't it? I'd be a little reluctant to put that on an animal that wasn't confined - on a skittish animal that could get really wild. LOL. I've seen milk cows put the rodeo bulls to shame on the occasional time I've forgotten to take the "kicker" off before the cow leaves the barn. :lol: Nothing like looking out into the yard and seeing a cow running and bucking out there...and realizing you need to go get that off. Depending on the cow that can get really interesting. 8)

rawcjw - what kind of kick is it? there's a big difference between a kick out of fear, and a kick with malice behind it. One means you need to spend more work and time with the animal, the other I'd be tempted to use a 2x4 on.