stomach tube

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Over the years I have used plastic vet stomach tubes whenever I have needed to treat a steer or cow for bloat. The only problem with them is that they are not very durable. Whenever we use them we put a piece of 1" x 1 1/2" wood in the animals mouth to prevent them from chewing on the tube, but occasionally the animal is able to spit out or knock out the wood and proceed to chew on the tube before I get the wood back in their mouth.

Have any of you ever used a garden hose or other type of hose or tube that is more durable than the vet stomach tubes?

Seversl years ago we had an epidemic of bloat. For those that we could hose, we used a garden house cut to about 4 foot long. We took a pice of hard wood, we used maple, and drilled a hose through it large enough for the cut end to put through. Not real loose, but not snug either. We liked using the male end of the hose with a brass fitting. It seemed to slide in easier. The piece of wood was about the size of a hammer handle, as a matter of fact if you have an old broke hickory handle it would work great.

dun

> Over the years I have used plastic
> vet stomach tubes whenever I have
> needed to treat a steer or cow for
> bloat. The only problem with them
> is that they are not very durable.
> Whenever we use them we put a
> piece of 1" x 1 1/2"
> wood in the animals mouth to
> prevent them from chewing on the
> tube, but occasionally the animal
> is able to spit out or knock out
> the wood and proceed to chew on
> the tube before I get the wood
> back in their mouth.

> Have any of you ever used a garden
> hose or other type of hose or tube
> that is more durable than the vet
> stomach tubes?

I like to use a soft hose, agarden hose could be too stiff, I take a short piece of plastic pipe big enough so the hose fits thru good and put it in their mouth and let them bite down on the pipe while you push the hose thru leave enough pipe stick out their mouth so you can hold it with one hand and push the hose with the other hand . I also like to put my hose in some warm water before I put it in

[email protected]

Latest posts