stolen hay!

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
A woman has been arrested in a sting operation for stealing a round bale of hay in Caldwell countyTexas! She loaded it on her pickup (how?) and was driveing off when arrested.
Police are servalemcing hay fields as hay prices continue to skyrocket.

2007 & 2008 we were dry like you are now. On one farm where there is nobody around I would take the hay fork off the loader after feeding and put it somewhere besides near the tractor. At least they would have to hunt for it and put it on to steal the hay. It worked.

Know a guy that took an old horse drawn harrow, cut it into sharp points and buried it under the road leading into his hay yard. the thieves could drive in, but not out.

I luv herfrds":29qmj7q8 said:
Know a guy that took an old horse drawn harrow, cut it into sharp points and buried it under the road leading into his hay yard. the thieves could drive in, but not out.

Unfortunately not everyone is a thief just because they drive in - makes for bad neighbour relations

Bez+

I luv herfrds":34jq2ucp said:

Sounds a little paranoid to me. What if they were just looking at the hay prior to buying it?

Apparently there is a bit of this going on in central Alberta. They figured out someone with a truck with a hydro deck is working at night. One guy I know had 14 bales "liberated" in one night! He says he's checked out the trees around the field and has noted a few stout ones where he can throw a rope over if he catches the thieves!

Bez+":1ukpre9k said:
I luv herfrds":1ukpre9k said:

Unfortunately not everyone is a thief just because they drive in - makes for bad neighbour relations

Bez+

A good neighbor does not go where he does not belong...

grannysoo":1mfcm94e said:
Bez+":1mfcm94e said:
I luv herfrds":1mfcm94e said:

Bez+

A good neighbor does not go where he does not belong...

And who is to say he is not checking things out because he sees something suspicious or simply looking for the person who lives there because he was not at the house and a dozen other scenarios?

If your answer is the case, there would be even more things happening - a good neighbour also looks after his.

You are far too suspicious if you believe that laying traps is the right thing to do

Personally I think the neighbour is an @ss for doing what you think is right - he could hurt others as well - there are always other remedies.

In fact there are good legal reasons to be careful about laying traps for folks

Bez+

If a fire breaks out, don't bother to save that neighbor's hay - or cows. It could cost you a set of tires

It was fenced in hay yard with a gate and he only did after he noticed tire tracks going in there and hay missing. He wasn't taking hay out of it yet.
He did go back and a truck full of hay with 4 flat tires sitting there. Called the law and let them handle it.
Nobody stole hay from him again.

well people would rather steal hay than buy it.an thats a sad fact of life an a drought.

Bez+":3jl4mf4i said:

And who is to say he is not checking things out because he sees something suspicious or simply looking for the person who lives there because he was not at the house and a dozen other scenarios?

If your answer is the case, there would be even more things happening - a good neighbour also looks after his.

You are far too suspicious if you believe that laying traps is the right thing to do

Personally I think the neighbour is an @ss for doing what you think is right - he could hurt others as well - there are always other remedies.

Bez+

Geeze man... lighten up. A simple statement of a good neighbor does not go where he does not belong turns into a sermon? I don't think anyone here is advising or accepting of laying traps. I know that I'm not. However my statement remains true that a good neighbor does not go where he does not belong.

Nothing wrong with looking after each other, for we all do that. You just don't start opening gates and driving onto others property. You don't mess around their barns, their equipment, their tools, their hay, their anything. It's called respect.

If there's a problem at the neighbors house or land, I find them, call them, or call the sheriff.

grannysoo":2kdyu4ua said:
Bez+":2kdyu4ua said:

Bez+

Geeze man... lighten up. A simple statement of a good neighbor does not go where he does not belong turns into a sermon? I don't think anyone here is advising or accepting of laying traps. I know that I'm not. However my statement remains true that a good neighbor does not go where he does not belong.

Nothing wrong with looking after each other, for we all do that. You just don't start opening gates and driving onto others property. You don't mess around their barns, their equipment, their tools, their hay, their anything. It's called respect.

If there's a problem at the neighbors house or land, I find them, call them, or call the sheriff.

You better quit cussing @ my buddy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts