Stolen cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Ray

Reaction score
Has any one ever had a cow stolen. I did and the police did nothing. This was on Sunday when we were at church. Beside asking the neighbors if they saw anything. I called the two local butchers and will tell the local livestock auction. Any other suggestions

Yup

Had several along with assorted calves removed from pasture last year. They were tagged and branded. No help from the constabulary.

I figure they are in someones septic tank now. Lots of folks kill and cut their own meat - myself included.

Calves were tagged but not branded - they are probably going into the freezer this summer.

I figure the thief / thieves neede them more than me. Thaqt hard up I would have given them one for nothing.

Unless you are very very lucky, don't plan on seeing it again.

Bez

Ray":21bm2fyb said:
Has any one ever had a cow stolen. I did and the police did nothing. This was on Sunday when we were at church. Beside asking the neighbors if they saw anything. I called the two local butchers and will tell the local livestock auction. Any other suggestions

Where are you at? If you live in Tx. or Ok. Texas Southwestern Cattle Raisers Associaton, could help.

http://www.texascattleraisers.org/theftProtection.asp

Unless it was branded, you probably have little chance of finding it- tags and chips help, but can be easily altered or removed. Even if you located it, without a brand, proving ownership could be difficult- be a his word against your word situation. DNA testing could possibly be done if you have the cows dam, a calf, or related cow -In Montana any strays that ownership can't be verified on become property of the state of Montana, sold and the profits go to the State.

I don't want to cause trouble but this national ID system that seems to be comming may help put the hault to rustlers.

hillbilly

Campground Cattle":2yq34wei said:
Where are you at? If you live in Tx. or Ok. Texas Southwestern Cattle Raisers Associaton, could help.

http://www.texascattleraisers.org/theftProtection.asp

Yes they could help. Anybody in TX or OK will be spending their money wisely if they join. These guys don't catch them all but they do a lot of good and do catch a lot of them. Just having your places posted with membership signs is somewhat of a deterrent.

They keep records of the LP on every vehicle delivering cattle to the salebarns. If are alerted to look for certain trailers they will do so. More than one cow thief has been busted thanks to their vigilance.

Craig-TX

My son and wife put up some flyers in the area. Basically it said someting to the effect that the cow could be identifed and others were not happy in the area and that she was mad that the law would not do any thing. About 3 this afternoon I went by the store and about 10 people had signed it. I got home and the cow was tied to the garage. I asked the neibor what he had see. He told me a truck pulled up and dropped her off. He went to talk to the guy. No liecenece on the trailer. He said he found her down the road. Really strange the fence is new 48 inch woven wire with a strand of electric at 2 feet and a foot above the woven wire. No hoof prints any where. The gate was closed.I think it may have been getting hot for someone so they brought her back and said they found her. Any way not a scratch on her. Lucky she wasn't in heat. That you for all your replies

I'll have to disagree with the assesment of the Southwestern Cattle Raisers Assoc... at least in my part of the country. Had a friend lose 11 head of Charloias heifers two summers ago. They had brands as big as my head, and were found missing within a day. Never found anything.

I've always wondered why as producers we're charged a "brand inspection" fee at the auction barn.. fat lot of good it does.

TheBullLady":1a2tgchl said:
I'll have to disagree with the assesment of the Southwestern Cattle Raisers Assoc... at least in my part of the country. Had a friend lose 11 head of Charloias heifers two summers ago. They had brands as big as my head, and were found missing within a day. Never found anything.

I've always wondered why as producers we're charged a "brand inspection" fee at the auction barn.. fat lot of good it does.

BullLady, I'll sure have to disagree with your assessment of TSCRA! Keep in mind that all cattle that are stolen don't go straight to a Texas salebarn. If a thief has the patience to turn cattle out somewhere, or dispose of them in some other manner, there's a good chance he gets by with it. And its not just about cattle. Stolen cattle, horses, saddles, tractors and equipment worth over $5 Million Dollars was either recovered or accounted for by TSCRA inspectors last year. Almost $15,000 worth every day! Obviously, others have a different experience than your neighbor.

But they do so much more than investigate stolen cattle. For my membership dollar, the lobbying, legislative affairs and property rights work that they do is worth it all. Often while we sleep at night, they have people working on issues that are important to us as cattlemen. And they've been doing it for almost 130 years!

I encourage all of you, no matter where you live, to consider joining. At the very least, check out their website. Here's another link to their homepage:

Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association

I had some cattle that were already in the local sale barn and I put out the word was out that they were mine and they were promptly returned to me that day. I mentioned that I had a photo of every animal I owned. My animals had gotten into a huge adjoining ranch and were scooped up with the other cattle to be sold and hauled off. My neighbors p.o.'ed them and unloaded them at my place. I placed an add in the local paper thanking them for their efforts.

There was much cattle rustling around here a couple of years ago. Lot's of talk about taking the law into "our own hands" as ranchers were interviewed on Austin news. Grown men practically in tears trying to explain to city folks that it wasn't just the loss of animals but generations of genetics lost. Ranchers were speaking out and willing to hang anyone caught and they were NOT JOKING. I do believe that cattle rustling and horse thievin' is still pretty much thought of as a hanging offense around here if the law aint looking! Don't mess with Texas cattle.

TexasCountryWoman":exod8v2n said:
I had some cattle that were already in the local sale barn and I put out the word was out that they were mine and they were promptly returned to me that day. I mentioned that I had a photo of every animal I owned. My animals had gotten into a huge adjoining ranch and were scooped up with the other cattle to be sold and hauled off. My neighbors p.o.'ed them and unloaded them at my place. I placed an add in the local paper thanking them for their efforts.

There was much cattle rustling around here a couple of years ago. Lot's of talk about taking the law into "our own hands" as ranchers were interviewed on Austin news. Grown men practically in tears trying to explain to city folks that it wasn't just the loss of animals but generations of genetics lost. Ranchers were speaking out and willing to hang anyone caught and they were NOT JOKING. I do believe that cattle rustling and horse thievin' is still pretty much thought of as a hanging offense around here if the law aint looking! Don't mess with Texas cattle.

If they had been in Montana or another brand state ( and had been branded) they could not have been sold without your signature. All cattle going thru the salesbarns or sold by private treaty have to be inspected- all cattle crossing a county line must have an inspection.
But that brings up the major defect in the system- If you can steal them from a brand state and drive them into a non brand state without being caught , where no inspections are done you are probably free and clear- except that brand doesn't disappear- so if by chance you located them you would have an ownership argument.

i believe the punishment for stealing cattle in texas is still a public hanging. or it may be for horses. too bad they dont still practice, if they did we would have some liberals whining and crying about it.

I trucked branded cattle from ND. The trailer that brought them from ND to WI was never stopped. And the trailer that brought them from WI to OH was not checked either. I had all the paperwork ready no one seemed to care that there were cattle in my trailer. I also know of a branded heifer that came from Oregan that was trucked on the top deck of a load of feeders and was never questioned. Is there something that these breeders did to not be stopped? Call ahead or something?

Oh, and just to tell you how concerned these state fairs are about having cattle on the grounds... I was never asked for out of state health papers, they never checked for bangs tattoo, warts or ringworm. I thought they should have been more concerned.

certherfbeef":2j1gaf99 said:
I trucked branded cattle from ND. The trailer that brought them from ND to WI was never stopped. And the trailer that brought them from WI to OH was not checked either. I had all the paperwork ready no one seemed to care that there were cattle in my trailer. I also know of a branded heifer that came from Oregan that was trucked on the top deck of a load of feeders and was never questioned. Is there something that these breeders did to not be stopped? Call ahead or something?

Oh, and just to tell you how concerned these state fairs are about having cattle on the grounds... I was never asked for out of state health papers, they never checked for bangs tattoo, warts or ringworm. I thought they should have been more concerned.

Buyers tell me that once they get east of the Mississipi River- or in the case of South Dakota, the Missouri- they can pretty much throw all the brand inspection paperwork away- don't really need it.
Up here a lot of trucks get checked for paperwork when going thru the weigh stations-

There are instances where even the National ID sytem wont make any difference

We had a calf, days old, swiped, bag of feed poured out and cattle are easily distracted long enough to pluck a sleeping calf

Would not wan't the trouble of feeding a bottle calf, but someone sure did.

With the Nat. EID Tags, they can be cut out and replaced, for $2.00 a theif can steel an entire herd, retag, and no one will ever care to check, unless they go to his farm or premis and find no Mature cows to produce his resultant calves, then he bears the burden of the paper trail from where the cattle came from, it may become more difficult but certainly it is possible

Cattle are butchered privatly all over, even by reputable people, who may be told "here, please butcher this calf for me" they do and they never knew that the little poop was stolen, how can they know, they just perform their job, others, steel, butcher and market stolen beef

Where there is a will there is a way an you can be sure a theif will find it.

Latest posts