Stockpiling

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah I pay the landowner for the hay I didn't get to make (great hay (IE its October and here is still zero weeds and would make great feed) and don't want to risk loosing the ground in the future). The hay will stay standing over winter and the 20 feet of snowfall will mash it down and it will rot away, and next summer it will be no big deal.

But I also left 200 Acres of customers with standing hay and zero payment/zero hay just like your case. In the hay business you will learn sometimes things are out of your control.

They guy that was supposed to combine our fescue seed kept saying I'll be there in a couple of days. Always had what sounded like legitimate excuses. Turned out he was combining for a bunch of other people. Didn;t find that out till it was too late for our seed.

dun":m1pbijdk said:
They guy that was supposed to combine our fescue seed kept saying I'll be there in a couple of days. Always had what sounded like legitimate excuses. Turned out he was combining for a bunch of other people. Didn;t find that out till it was too late for our seed.

Makes you want to choke him doesn't it?!?!

I used to buy from a guy and I'd place my order up front so whenever he passed my place he could just dump the hay rather than carrying it to his barn. I'd pay as it came in. Even let him use my equipment to save him trouble. A drought came along and he said he had me and another guy covered since we were his core clients. Between us we bought 800 rolls from him. No hay showed up and the drought had made hay prices increase substantially. He then told me he didn't have any hay to sell but because the drought had just done him in. I asked my wife to call him and ask if she could buy some hay from him. He didn't know her nor her number and he told her he had plenty to sell but it would be $10/roll more than I had traded with him on. That is the moment I got in the hay business but I learned real fast everyone isn't like me and that I didn't need to be in the hay business unless I wanted to go to prison for killing someone so I stopped selling to the public.

Chevytahoe, I've only got about a year of hay business experience under my belt but if half your customers were similar to mine I don't know how you do it. Another thing I don't understand, and maybe you can answer this for me, how in the heck does someone all of a sudden run out of hay on Sunday? It seemed to always be Sunday and it was always an emergency. Know what I mean?

How I deal with problem customers is by increasing my cattle herd so that I don't have hay to sell. hahaha. The cattle auction sends me a check promptly without excuses. I have a few core customers that don't complain and always pay, everybody else has to come inspect the hay in the field or at my place and pay for it before it gets loaded to go anywhere. If they complain or balk at the price I just tell them "thanks for looking but my cattle will enjoy it".

As for people "running out" it's always a Sunday or a Holiday and always a blizzard and -20*. For those occasions my price increases dramatically to discourage it. And for small orders I have a minimum "starting the tractor" charge.

chevytaHOE5674":1j5e1iig said:
As for people "running out" it's always a Sunday or a Holiday and always a blizzard and -20*. For those occasions my price increases dramatically to discourage it. And for small orders I have a minimum "starting the tractor" charge.

Don't blame you a bit. I suspect that keeps your sane. I can't stand tire kickers. Waste of your time and time is money.

I now grow just what I need although I will help a someone out from time but there is no need to call me on Sunday or some holiday claiming you just ran out of hay and need some immediately because I'm not going to make your problem mine.

Three years ago on X-mas day a guy called me needing "a load" of hay real bad. So being the nice guy I am I said come on over the price is XX per bale. Well he shows up and wants two 4x5 bales in the back of his pickup, and since I already told him a price I stuck to it. Ever since I ask how much "a load" is, and then decide to tack on the "tractor starting" charge or not. haha

Bottom line is I try not to sell too much hay. I make hay on shares for customers and they keep their share, I make hay for customers and they pay me per bale and keep all the hay, and I make hay for myself on free and leased ground. I always have some extra to sell but try not to have too much because I HATE selling hay. lol

We have also had to deal with the multitude of customers that have been talked about here. We have a couple of horse customers that get small square bales. Have had them for years. There is always a check or cash, or if we deliver and they aren't home, they call to ask how much and send the check. 3 are fairly close together so we try to take hay to all 3 when we are going; one gets 100,+/- one can only hold 50 or so and one only gets a small amount like 30 or so. They all know about the other, and if one can't hold as much, usually another can fit in some extra. They are pretty easy to satisfy, one is a little pickier, but it has worked out well over the years. They also are first on the list when the weather is dry/drought like conditions. If they are home they often help unload.

For first time customers, they are told to come see the hay, take a bale home and see if their animals like it. After that, there is no picking through and all that. We will make good on any that have wet or mold in them; keep them and return 'em, and will kick in an extra one or two for their time but we try to keep any "heavy bales" here and feed it out right away.

We don't sell many round bales, but do have one customer that we deliver 2 at a time that is close. He is so happy to not have to go haul it, works irregular hours, and has a tractor with a FEL that can move them the short distance into the field. If he is away with work we will put one in the field when we deliver. He pays good, never complains, calls ahead unless he gets stuck out of town and then still gives us a couple days notice.

We don't do much custom work for too many other people, but do have one that we took over when our friend passed away.... kinda got passed on to us. He has beef cattle, can't make his own hay anymore, but is reasonable and knows the weather situation. He's close to another place we do, so catch it at the same time.
Had one decide to do something different this year after not being happy at how long it took us to get there last year. I'm glad and we don't miss the hay or the aggravation. It was the farthest away place so in my opinion, good riddance. Have since heard he goes through/changes hay makers about every 4-6 years. We had it 4 or 5.... One of those 30+ acre estates that want it to look like a showplace but wants the tax/land use advantage.
Got one real close we are probably going to lose/give up after this year because now they want all of second cutting to help their brother feed his cows. We do all the fertilizer and all the work and used to get all the hay and they got land use tax status, plus we paid a lease on it. Then they wanted about 50 square bales for their horses when they were there on the farm....now its all the second cutting???? Since it has been very dry there isn't much second cutting, we will see haw many bales it makes, but something will have to give. Not doing this for free or to be the "nice guy" deal anymore.

My son said that he is tired of kissing everyone's a$$ and everyone thinking this is owed to them, or that it can't possibly cost much for them to just get some of the hay when that is not in the original agreement. Tired of dealing with them, would rather keep the few good ones and then feed the extra to our cows. Maybe even have a little time to do other things than work 20/7365 between farming and full time jobs. Maybe even get more than 4 or 5 hours sleep some nights????? Have a day off even....

Basically, what I'm hearing is: People, they're the worst. :lol:

Looked at 2 used tedders today. One Kuhn ,one Galfrie, both 4 star, hydraulic. Any opinions on these brands?

All the complaints about horses adz customers is the reason I enjoy the most having sold my gunshop and quit dealing with the public in a retail situation

boondocks":1rsoif17 said:

Doing your own hay is challenging enough due to the uncertainty of the weather but when you add a selfish unsympathetic person to the mix you have the recipe for ulcers. Its easy enough to deal with the weather because you just accept the fact that its out of your hands and you can't control it but people are more stressful because this problem is easy enough to fix with a hammer but there are laws against this.

I don't know the difference in the brands of tedders but I do have an old Kuhn I have as a backup and its over 30 years old I believe. She's an old ugly thing but she works like a charm. IMO, I would look for a brand that I could by the tines locally without ordering. Most of these things are pretty standard but you know how some companies like to make their own unique parts and I wouldn't want that.

Jogeephus":16x4yt4v said:
boondocks":16x4yt4v said:

Doing your own hay is challenging enough due to the uncertainty of the weather but when you add a selfish unsympathetic person to the mix you have the recipe for ulcers. Its easy enough to deal with the weather because you just accept the fact that its out of your hands and you can't control it but people are more stressful because this problem is easy enough to fix with a hammer but there are laws against this.

I don't know the difference in the brands of tedders but I do have an old Kuhn I have as a backup and its over 30 years old I believe. She's an old ugly thing but she works like a charm. IMO, I would look for a brand that I could by the tines locally without ordering. Most of these things are pretty standard but you know how some companies like to make their own unique parts and I wouldn't want that.

Good to know, thanks. I'm just surprised by what these things are going for. They don't seem that complicated mechanically. The prices for the haybine, tractor, rake, baler etc I could understand but tedders seem disproportionate, around here anyway...

It seems tedders are starting to gain popularity so the prices are holding steady or even rising even on old worn out junk. I have an old 2 star deutz fahr that is probably worth more now than when it was new. Having said that I try to use it as little as possible, I'd rather wait an extra day before raking than burn the fuel yanking a tedder around. But sometimes it is necessary so its nice to have.

I also have a Pequea "fluffer" that tosses the windrow up in the air but doesn't scatter it all over the place, and I find myself using this more often than the Deutz tedder. Gets the green stuff to the top and lets wind blow thru the swatch but keeps it rowed up so that I don't drive on any hay pushing it into our usually wet soil. Can also travel faster and there is much less to go wrong with it.

boondocks":2uzsapk6 said:
Jogeephus":2uzsapk6 said:
boondocks":2uzsapk6 said:

Good to know, thanks. I'm just surprised by what these things are going for. They don't seem that complicated mechanically. The prices for the haybine, tractor, rake, baler etc I could understand but tedders seem disproportionate, around here anyway...

If you lived closer I could fix you with a tedder for a song. Good one to. If you can, be patient and look around and find a used one. Not much can be wrong with one and easy enough fixed if it is. Last one I bought I got from a guy who decided haying wasn't his cup of tea and I got it for a song and it still had paint on the tines. I paid pennies on the dollar for it and he set the price. So if you can, look around and also go to your tractor place and talk to one of the mechanics that work on equipment like this because if you can befriend him he's a wealth of knowledge of who has what and whose looking to sell and whether its been taken care of. That's what I do and the two guys I know are both on my Christmas list because they are so helpful finding stuff like this.

Jogeephus":8dffdkqx said:
If you lived closer I could fix you with a tedder for a song. Good one to. If you can, be patient and look around and find a used one. Not much can be wrong with one and easy enough fixed if it is. Last one I bought I got from a guy who decided haying wasn't his cup of tea and I got it for a song and it still had paint on the tines. I paid pennies on the dollar for it and he set the price. So if you can, look around and also go to your tractor place and talk to one of the mechanics that work on equipment like this because if you can befriend him he's a wealth of knowledge of who has what and whose looking to sell and whether its been taken care of. That's what I do and the two guys I know are both on my Christmas list because they are so helpful finding stuff like this.

Thanks, Jo. We are taking our time but there's just not much for sale around here...Maybe I'll make a road trip to Ga when the snow flies and I need some sun! Oughta be about another week :lol:

chevytaHOE5674":2ak2yaw2 said:
It seems tedders are starting to gain popularity so the prices are holding steady or even rising even on old worn out junk. I have an old 2 star deutz fahr that is probably worth more now than when it was new. Having said that I try to use it as little as possible, I'd rather wait an extra day before raking than burn the fuel yanking a tedder around. But sometimes it is necessary so its nice to have.

I also have a Pequea "fluffer" that tosses the windrow up in the air but doesn't scatter it all over the place, and I find myself using this more often than the Deutz tedder. Gets the green stuff to the top and lets wind blow thru the swatch but keeps it rowed up so that I don't drive on any hay pushing it into our usually wet soil. Can also travel faster and there is much less to go wrong with it.
Is this the type you have? http://www.pequea.com/hay-tools/hay-ted ... er-tedders
We've been looking more at ones like this (just as a general example): http://www.hudsonrivertractorcompany.co ... eh=4764031
Any thoughts? thanks!

I have one of each. Try not to use either but my go to is the pequea fluffer, if that won't do the job I go for the traditional tedder. Trouble here is our clay soil is very wet almost all the time so using the traditional tedder means you have to drive on the hay for raking and that results in a lot of hay getting mashed into wet soil and either getting left behind or raked into the windrow dripping with water and covered in mud.

chevytaHOE5674":6mq06qmh said:
I have one of each. Try not to use either but my go to is the pequea fluffer, if that won't do the job I go for the traditional tedder. Trouble here is our clay soil is very wet almost all the time so using the traditional tedder means you have to drive on the hay for raking and that results in a lot of hay getting mashed into wet soil and either getting left behind or raked into the windrow dripping with water and covered in mud.

interesting. Most people around here use the Kuhn-type one. Our soil is less clay--mostly rock!

Honestly I would try making hay without a tedder before plunking down big money on another piece of equipment.

For example in June/July/August we had 90" of rainfall, our highest temp for those 3 months was 82* and out lowest HIGH temp was 46* (IE cool and wet summer). I managed to make 300+ 4x5 rolls at 14% or less moisture in 3 separate 3 day windows and never once used the tedder on any of it and many of the fields had standing water in places. Then the 2nd week of September I made another few hundred at 12~14% moisture but that took a 5 day window because of the short days and cool nights. Sure tedder may have cut a day off of the september hay but it also costs a lot of fuel and time to drive around the field when mother nature can do it for free.

There are times a tedder is invaluable, but for a small time producer like yourself it shouldn't be too hard to time your small acreage with mother nature. You can rake a lot of hay twice for what a tedder costs.

As for not much to go wrong with a tedder, the frames take a beating, so do the gearboxes. I know where at least two tedders are sitting with shelled gearboxes that cost more to repair than the cost of a replacement machine.

Latest posts