Stockpiling in Northeast worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Windy Meadow

Reaction score
Got some 2nd cut then didn't come up well because of getting the first late.. So it's not worth mowing and baling.. Will it be worth putting cow out on after a hard frost?? I'm guessing once it gets hit with a frost all the nutrients go down to the roots, Is that true??

Windy Meadow":2h8t3gb0 said:
Got some 2nd cut then didn't come up well because of getting the first late.. So it's not worth mowing and baling.. Will it be worth putting cow out on after a hard frost?? I'm guessing once it gets hit with a frost all the nutrients go down to the roots, Is that true??

What do you have growing? How long since last cut? How soon till your expected hard frost? What do you want to do with the field next year?

Thanks for the input! Mixture of grasses/clover.. We will be using these fields next year for hay.. We've already had a mild frost.. I guess my main question is when the grass turns that yellowish color after a frost does it have any value to the cattle?

Windy Meadow":3b3r6i2c said:
Thanks for the input! Mixture of grasses/clover.. We will be using these fields next year for hay.. We've already had a mild frost.. I guess my main question is when the grass turns that yellowish color after a frost does it have any value to the cattle?

Fescue seems to get more palatable after a frost, protein levels stay high enough for young stock for quite a while.
Be careful with clovers, http://beefmagazine.com/pasture-health/beware-jack-frost-and-forage-toxicity?page=3

Be careful grazing too low, height depends on type of grass, you will hurt spring regrowth if too low.

Latest posts