Stockpiling grass

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1":2p9o0y2g said:
Kenny if you don't mind me asking whats the urea cost spread per acre in your area . I got a recent quote for granular nitrogen for 160 acres at $10K or 60 acres around $3500 . Can't see how to make $ like that . The county spread sludge for free for years on my place- family and neighbors have put a stop to this , I gotta start looking into something different
Right now 50 units or 108 pounds of urea would cost almost 20 dollars. The buggy to spread it is included in the price. Custom app would cost 6 dollars.

jedstivers":frm2548x said:
BobbyLummus1":frm2548x said:
Kenny if you don't mind me asking whats the urea cost spread per acre in your area . I got a recent quote for granular nitrogen for 160 acres at $10K or 60 acres around $3500 . Can't see how to make $ like that . The county spread sludge for free for years on my place- family and neighbors have put a stop to this , I gotta start looking into something different
Right now 50 units or 108 pounds of urea would cost almost 20 dollars. The buggy to spread it is included in the price. Custom app would cost 6 dollars.
50 units is what I use for stockpiling. I can add a lot more than $20 worth of forage by using it. And adding the wheat really boost the protein.
Bigfoot, when did you try to graze your fescue? If I need to feed I feed hay in December and hold the fescue until after Jan 1. Sure makes it easier on me on the cold days. I feel the cows do better on it also.

kenny thomas":3293z8yu said:
I need to feed I feed hay in December and hold the fescue until after Jan 1. Sure makes it easier on me on the cold days. I feel the cows do better on it also.
That's what the U of MO recommends, feed hay first then the stockpile. Only catch to that is when the stockpiled grass is comvered with ice and snow.

dun":1e0lu3f9 said:
kenny thomas":1e0lu3f9 said:
I need to feed I feed hay in December and hold the fescue until after Jan 1. Sure makes it easier on me on the cold days. I feel the cows do better on it also.
That's what the U of MO recommends, feed hay first then the stockpile. Only catch to that is when the stockpiled grass is comvered with ice and snow.
Dun, I agree.For 3 weeks recently the fescue was deep under the snow. But wen the snow melted it was in excellent condition. The snow keep it from freezing I guess.

Once it's dormant freezing probably sin;t gong to hurt it. Being flattened from the snow/ice I think is a bigger issue.

They quit it, aboutthanksgiving of 2013. I should have had enough to last till Christmas. Seems like somebody over in Missouri posted they were having problems, long about the same time.