Stockpiling fescue?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune

Reaction score
Last fall I planted a new fescue field (10 acres). I have kept the cows off of it the entire year, letting it grow undisturbed. My plan, was to leave this fescue alone and put the cows on it some time in the fall.

Summer came early and dry months will be the norm for some time. My nice green virgin fescue field is looking kinda ragged. I am worried that if I wait till fall this field will be an uneatable mess.

Not sure what I should do. I could hay it, but I don't have any hay storage left this year. Being a noob, I have a feeling that I am missing the concept of 'stockpiling' and could use some education. Any advice would help.

Thanks in advance!

What does the term "stockpiling fescue" mean and how does one go about doing it?
The term "stockpiled" simply means accumulating early fall growth of tall fescue for grazing at a later time such as in late fall and/or early winter. The advantages of stockpiling are numerous. Allowing cows to harvest their own forage costs 30-50% less than harvesting the forage as hay and feeding it back to them. In addition, nutrients of grazed forages are usually higher than those in stored forages. Several studies have shown properly fertilized stockpiled fescue forage to contain 12-14% protein and 60% or more total digestible nutrients (TDN). In research conducted at the University of Missouri, beef cattle wintering costs were reduced by $100/hd by utilizing a combination of stockpiled tall fescue and hay versus when hay alone was used. To stockpile tall fescue, old seed heads and low quality summer growth should be removed by clipping or close grazing in mid-August to early September. This stimulates new forage growth high in nutrient content. Remove the cows. If weather conditions are favorable, apply 40-80 lbs/ac. nitrogen in late August or early September to optimize fall growth of the fescue.

Douglas":19yi4ar2 said:
What does the term "stockpiling fescue" mean and how does one go about doing it?
The term "stockpiled" simply means accumulating early fall growth of tall fescue for grazing at a later time such as in late fall and/or early winter. The advantages of stockpiling are numerous. Allowing cows to harvest their own forage costs 30-50% less than harvesting the forage as hay and feeding it back to them. In addition, nutrients of grazed forages are usually higher than those in stored forages. Several studies have shown properly fertilized stockpiled fescue forage to contain 12-14% protein and 60% or more total digestible nutrients (TDN). In research conducted at the University of Missouri, beef cattle wintering costs were reduced by $100/hd by utilizing a combination of stockpiled tall fescue and hay versus when hay alone was used. To stockpile tall fescue, old seed heads and low quality summer growth should be removed by clipping or close grazing in mid-August to early September. This stimulates new forage growth high in nutrient content. Remove the cows. If weather conditions are favorable, apply 40-80 lbs/ac. nitrogen in late August or early September to optimize fall growth of the fescue.
The only variation for nitrogen is you have a lot of clover in the field no more then 30 lbs per acre of N

Douglas":nsevfe4s said:

I'd add 1 comment to this. The timing of when you stop grazing & fertilize to begin stockpiling will depend on your location. Here in Southwestern Ohio we stop grazing about Aug 1. Application of nitrogen is optimum in early August for us. We often get a good soaker the first week in Aug, and if we need N on the field we time it with that rain.

Rhune, cutting a new field of grass once it's over 4-6 inches will stimulate it to tiller and thicken. At this point, you might be best brush hogging it to knock down the seed heads and have a nice stemless pasture for the cows this fall.

Chris H":2njuh16f said:
Douglas":2njuh16f said:
Rhune, cutting a new field of grass once it's over 4-6 inches will stimulate it to tiller and thicken. At this point, you might be best brush hogging it to knock down the seed heads and have a nice stemless pasture for the cows this fall.

This stuff is 2-3 feet tall. What do you think about putting the cows on it now, lettin them eat it down some and then hoggin it? I think if I just hogged it right now it would be a huge a mess and potentially damaging to the field.

Thanks for all the replies!

As said above it depends a lot on where you are. I spent several hours today bush hogging fescue that has gotten ahead of me. I raised the bush hog as high as the hydrolics allowed. The toxins in the fescue is concentrated in the seed heads so I wanted to get them down. I will graze until about Sept 1 here and then apply the Nitrogen.

Cut mine two week ago,cut about two inches of the boot off.it seems it its thicker than before

When I clip I cut so that just the tops of the grass blades are cut. That stimulates the stuff to grow. Turning the cows in to eat and trample the stuff now wouldn;t be a bad idea.

NMVaquero":2h2iqjf4 said:
How much hay storage do you have?
Don;t know who you're asking, but we have inside storage for around 150 5x5 round bales. Got stuff in there that's 3 years old since we don't feed much hay except during ice/deep snow or drought. Where it can be done, stockpiling is the way to go. You just have to have stocking levels that will allow rotational grazing and stockpiling

dun":mamtcjg2 said:
NMVaquero":mamtcjg2 said:
Don;t know who you're asking, but we have inside storage for around 150 5x5 round bales. Got stuff in there that's 3 years old since we don't feed much hay except during ice/deep snow or drought. Where it can be done, stockpiling is the way to go. You just have to have stocking levels that will allow rotational grazing and stockpiling

Rhune, the original poster.
He said he is out of room for more storage and doesn't want to hay it.
I ask as hay storage may be an option if he wants to consider drought.
Maybe sell the hay too, extra income.

NMVaquero":26aehzkx said:

I have minimal hay storage. My barn is packed with 20 tons in it right now. Building a bigger hay barn is on the list. Haying isn't an option right now because I don't have the equipment to do it. I'm kind of a noob at this. Getting a cutter/rake/baler is on the list though too lol. Currently I have an agreement with a real rancher who cuts my hay and takes half.

I'm in SW Ohio and pull our cows off 1st of Aug. Kenny's in SW Virginia and pulls his off 1st of Sept.
I'd say turn your cattle out now and read up on when is the best time to pull them off for your area.

All you folks need to go back and read the 1st post real careful. Leave the cows off the field till fall. What I read was the field was planted last fall. By waiting till fall the new field will survive the summer better.

Red Bull Breeder":27ttte0o said:
All you folks need to go back and read the 1st post real careful. Leave the cows off the field till fall. What I read was the field was planted last fall. By waiting till fall the new field will survive the summer better.

Red Bull, the original poster still hasn't said where he lives. In a normal year in Ohio he'd be better off taking it down to a foot or so right now, either by grazing or brush hogging. He did say he's got 2-3 feet so he would be best to take it off the field. If he's in regions like you are, I'll defer to your advice.

He might have that much stem. How did taking it down work for you last year? Its mid June it now, fescue is not going to do much between now and July. If it was mine it would stay just like it is till fall.

Latest posts