25g5q2c.jpg

2551gec.jpg

30uzcdf.jpg

2vtqjvp.jpg

2q3c3k0.jpg

288ck6d.jpg

iwt8pv.jpg

24x3pna.jpg

I lied, Pictures 6 and 7 counting down from the top do have the cows in there now. The other areas will not be pastured until no sooner than November and will provide forage until spring if it works as I plan.

Interesting to see how its done farther south. UP here there is no way to stockpile forage for the winter months. What isn't grazed off or baled up by November won't been seen again until spring arrives.

We grazed stock-piled fescue and trefoil through the snow until the end of January up here last winter. The cows learn pretty quick, as long as they snow doesn't get an ice crust on it, they will find it. If they're too lazy to do that, they ain't staying here! Those pastures look good, you should be in good shape. Should be almost 8 weeks until average first frost down there? I'd say they have some good growing season left.

Great photos, please tell us all what you did to get the grass to look that good.
How much rain would you say you have had since it was last grazed?
Did you seed/re-seed any of this?
Any other amendments?

Jason

fargus":297ihg4s said:
We grazed stock-piled fescue and trefoil through the snow until the end of January up here last winter.

By the end of Janurary last year we had close to 5 feet of snow on the ground, no way the animals can walk through it let alone try and eat whats under it. For the season last year we had 272 inches (that's 22.6 FEET) of total snow accumulation and for much of the winter had between 4 and 6 feet on the ground.

Sort of jealous that guys can stockpile and not have to feed hay.

Wow!!! Beautiful place!!!!! I don't have, nor have seen anything like that in my area in years!! Congrats

beautiful land you got there! love all the grass you got especially the clover, been tryin to get pops to let me seed some in our place and it aint happening. he swears its a weed that will one day plague us. the way i see it is a way to put N in the ground, fat on the cows and in the long run $ in our pockets. nice pics!

jrn28":2kj099om said:
beautiful land you got there! love all the grass you got especially the clover, been tryin to get pops to let me seed some in our place and it aint happening. he swears its a weed that will one day plague us. the way i see it is a way to put N in the ground, fat on the cows and in the long run $ in our pockets. nice pics!

jrn28, you might as well be on a different planet as inyati. Your climate & forage are worlds apart. What kind of grasses & legumes grow well in your area?

My place has mostly Bermuda and needle grass, in fall I overseed ryegrass and it comes in great in spring. I have thrown clover in the fall at my uncles place with some success, dies out in summer and comes back when it rains and cools down. But I agree very rare for me to even see my place that green.

jrn28":3gh2sxyi said:
My place has mostly Bermuda and needle grass, in fall I overseed ryegrass and it comes in great in spring. I have thrown clover in the fall at my uncles place with some success, dies out in summer and comes back when it rains and cools down. But I agree very rare for me to even see my place that green.

I'm about an hour & a half north of Inyati. Our pastures are very similar, except most of ours is flat enough to be tillable. The heat of the summer is when the clover excels here.

I forgot about this post and am just getting back to it. Thanks for the compliments. This should respond to most of the comments and questions. I started about 4 years ago with a 2005 Cat D3G low ground pressure dozer (wide track). The farm was grown up with trees and bushes. In the course of pushing them off, I regraded the surface. The farm is steep so to pull a rotary cutter over it, the danger is significantly reduced by having an even solid surface. A D3G may be the best machine in existence for that type of grade work. The D3G is hydrostatic and with two joysticks and your foot on the decellerator, anyone can become skilled in about 50 hours. I would bet I can roll a hardboiled egg with the corner of the blade and not crack it. They are fine operating machines.

When I got an area graded, if it was a while before seeding, I cut numerous erosion breaks with a berm to break down run-off. I seeded in the fall. I would go back, break down the berms, fresh grade the surface, put down the seed and then track the seed in with the dozer. Those words in bold are the secret to my success. That gets the seed in contact with the ground. The seed I used was a pre-mix beef pasture including ryegrass, orchard grass, ladino clover, red clover, endophyte free fescue, and there was a low percentage of alfalfa.

The first year following seeding, the clovers dominated. The next year, the orchard grass dominated. Now there is a mixed stand. I mow my pastures early June and Early August. Some areas needed a third mowing. There are no stumps or rocks. It is steep but I can mow all day and never hit an object.

I have not used any amendments. I think when land is disturbed, a lot of tied-up nutrients are released due to oxidation and aeriation. I do use rotational grazing but not in an intense fashion.

Envious! This is my first year of rotational grazing. After more summer rain that usual that is what my pasture looked like 6 weeks ago. Planned for stockpiling this winter. Cut hay for back up. Good thing I did. Not a drop of rain in 7 weeks. Haven't mowed my yard in 4 weeks.

Latest posts