Stockpiled fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
Well, I went with the stockpiled fescue route this winter in lieu of cutting these fields for a second cutting. There is still a xxxxload of grass out there. With the exception of having to feed two rolls during one short snow/ice period I have not had to feed any hay. It is now getting very brown in alot of places, however there is alot of green mixed in that the cows seem to picking through very well. At what point does the quality drop below feed requirements. If the winter continues like it is, there will be enough grass until the other fields green up, Just not sure if they will consume the brown junk or if the feed value is there. Are should i consider supplementing with something?

I will have to admit I am one of those folks who have posted in the past, but have just drifted into a reading follower. But just want you all to know the information on this board is a great source. (gets a little entertaining sometimes too.)

rgv said:
Well, I went with the stockpiled fescue route this winter in lieu of cutting these fields for a second cutting. There is still a xxxxload of grass out there. With the exception of having to feed two rolls during one short snow/ice period I have not had to feed any hay. It is now getting very brown in alot of places, however there is alot of green mixed in that the cows seem to picking through very well. At what point does the quality drop below feed requirements. If the winter continues like it is, there will be enough grass until the other fields green up, Just not sure if they will consume the brown junk or if the feed value is there. Are should i consider supplementing with something?
quote]
At the point where they bust into where you keep your hay and start gobbling it down... :lol: (I say that because I had that happen one year)
Seriously, I guess it depends on what your cattle are looking like? ... good conditioned bodies?

We are feeding stockpiled fescue also and have the same weather conditions as you. We have also put out a couple of bales just to cover our bases and most days, the cattle are out grazing and don't come near the hay so I don't think they are being deprived of nutrients. We are feeding Vitazine mineral but that's all.

Theoreticaly once fescue goes basicly dormant it doesn;t lose significant nutritional value. The data is somethwere on the U of MO extension service site but don;t feel like digging through it all. Our cows appear to be as fat as ever, maybe even fatter. A bunch of them look like they're carrying basketballs in their briskets. We fed hay a copule of icey days a while back but other then that they're still on the old brown dried out stockpiled fescue.

rgv":367t6fdt said:

I will have to admit I am one of those folks who have posted in the past, but have just drifted into a reading follower. But just want you all to know the information on this board is a great source. (gets a little entertaining sometimes too.)

I don't suppose this is actually the correct answer as for need of supplementing or not, however watching their stool is a guage to go by. I watch this closely for myself. I printed it off here and took it home.
It is a great chart for that, however I have memory laps right now and not sure where it is, maybe someone could bring that up if you have it?

kickinbull":351caa05 said:
just curious, do you have a simple way to estimate how much ground is needed/cow?
You can use a forage stick and estimate the amount of feed per acre then figure in how much each cow needs. I cheat. I only give them a smallish area to graze and keep track of how long it takes them to clean it up enough to move.

Turned 55 cows and 27 calves onto 40 acres of stockpiled fescue today. Also has about 10 acres corn stalks and 8 acres winter rye. I hope to graze them until at least March 1.
Be sure and keep very good mineral available. I have done this the last 6 years with no problem.

kenny thomas":2zrr2tur said:
Turned 55 cows and 27 calves onto 40 acres of stockpiled fescue today. Also has about 10 acres corn stalks and 8 acres winter rye. I hope to graze them until at least March 1.
Be sure and keep very good mineral available. I have done this the last 6 years with no problem.
Kenny, what is done with the stockpiled field between march 1 and mid aug. when you begin the stockpiling?

These are fields that we cut for hay and then around the first of September we put ammonia on them and hold them for winter pasture. There is also a small 10 acre corn field and about 8 acres that was in tobacco so the person who does it even plants the rye. He likes the manure the cows puts on the field. I usually feed hay in December and then put the cows on the stockpiled fescue about the first week of January. The cows that did not calve in the fall will start calving Jan 22 so they will be born on good sod out of the mud. Really helps with the health of the calf.

One thing I have also done on some of the fields where the fescue is less. I drill wheat after the second cutting of hay. This is then grazed also. Then the next year you also have the wheat in with your normal hay. Did not do it this year because of the drought. Did not think I could get it to grow.
Really works good for small calves 250-450 lbs.

Latest posts