Stockpiled Fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

bwranch

Reaction score
15 acres of stockpiled fescue in two pastures, 5 and 10 ac split. I understand the reccomended practice is to strip graze it. My question, for those of you who stockpile- is strip grazing worth the extra effort? The pastures are relatively remote and I'll have to use a battery based charger. What kind of stocking rate? I don't want to have to move them and then bring them home in a week. I was thinking 10 pairs, strip graze with supplemental hay.

Lee

I don't think it's worth the effort to move them there if you aren't going to strip graze. I also wouldn't supplement with hay. You don't want them out there on the grass with full bellies, stomping down the grass.

I see no reason to strip graze 5 acres with 10 pairs, or 10 acres with 10 pairs. Turn the 10 pairs into the 5 acres, and when you think they have the goody out of it, turn them into the 10.

We rotationally graze and move our pairs once a week. They have access to about .75 acres/pair or less during that time. You are putting enough cattle on there, you will be just fine.

Strip grazing more comes into play when you are turning 10 pairs loose on 30 acres or something, IMHO.

Shouldn't need to supplement them with hay unless deep snow. Just keep an eye on them.

Latest posts