stockpile

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
November they will be on here

ResizedImage_1445370666126_zpsba9qxd61.jpg

ResizedImage_1445370667966_zpsnn7so7fu.jpg

ResizedImage_1445370746311_zps93fzkbez.jpg

Looks good. If you can give it to them a strip at a time it will last a lot longer. The crabgrass and foxtail in it is turning brown but they will clean it up if you make them.

Looks good. I have some 2nd crop fields that I hope to get time to graze off this fall, hopefully mother nature lets that happen. I had lots of stockpiled grass last fall but old man winter dumped ~3 feet of snow the 2nd week of November so that put an instant halt on any grazing.

Just getting ready to ask a question about stock pile grass. Friend of mine has some land that hasn't had anything on it since July. He's wanting me to put some cows on it. The cows I would be putting on it will be calving in jan-feb. Will the over mature grass provide enough nutrition for the cows? There's enough grass there till at least first of the year. Or do I need to supplement with something? I have plenty of corn and can get DDGS fairly cheap.

pricefarm":25oc6342 said:
Just getting ready to ask a question about stock pile grass. Friend of mine has some land that hasn't had anything on it since July. He's wanting me to put some cows on it. The cows I would be putting on it will be calving in jan-feb. Will the over mature grass provide enough nutrition for the cows? There's enough grass there till at least first of the year. Or do I need to supplement with something? I have plenty of corn and can get DDGS fairly cheap.
If its fescue it gets better later. Take a few samples and have your extension agent send it in for a test to be sure.

Thanks yall ... K.T. I am thinking about doing just that. I was thinking of setting the fence up permanently for the summer time as well and just put them in each paddock instead of constantly moving the fence. PF I also stick tubs out in the winter time for them to make sure they are getting enough protein whether on stockpile or hay.

fertilized really good two years ago... I did nothing to it there has been few animals on it all year. it has not seen a tractor tire this year.

I am cutting the cattle off of about 30 acres of stock pile and starting to feed hay... I want the stock pile there in the spring so as to give the other pastures a break till it gets pretty tall as the cattle mowed the other down pretty good. I have a lot of hay sitting outside that needs to be used so im starting to use it.

Douglas":7oxqsup6 said:
Any red clover in there sky?

Red clover was put out there but it doesn't seem to last long.. the clover that lasts the longest is cinnamon clover and ladino which is in most of those fields.

When the good is pretty much gone we start feeding hay away from the stockpiled stuff. If your grass is fescue even during the winter it will grow a little and be ready come spring