Stockpile ? for Fescue Fans

Help Support CattleToday:

Got into the 40s here today, but heading for single digits F tomorrow, so ran a drag over half each of the next two grazing strips this afternoon.

They were not clear by sunset, but the no snow areas were much bigger. Went form less than 10% open to over 50%. Should have dragged it a couple hours sooner.

Got into the 40s here today, but heading for single digits F tomorrow, so ran a drag over half each of the next two grazing strips this afternoon.

They were not clear by sunset, but the no snow areas were much bigger. Went form less than 10% open to over 50%. Should have dragged it a couple hours sooner.
Let us know how it works.

Updates, my fescue this fall looks to be the best I have ever had. All the cows are still cleaning up grass on other areas and other farms. Pretty sure I won't feed but a few bales if any before I start grazing the stockpile even though I bought 60 rolls yesterday.
Probably buy a few thin cows to sell later this winter when the price gets high. Will unroll the bought hay and any waste will be fertilizer. Bought 4x5 rolls for 17.50 loaded. 6 miles from my farm.
Will take more pictures over Thanksgiving.
Are you expecting cows to get higher this winter?

Slaughter cows will get higher in the southeast. They have more cows than they can get killed right now. Big difference in January I think and so do the slaughter buyers.
That's good to know...I need to move a handful about then.

Bringing this back up.
Started strip grazing last week. We had a very dry fall so it's not nearly as good as it has been in the past. Plus I have doubled my number of cows. But still should have enough stockpile fescue to last until mid February.
Fed more hay during November and December than I did all of last year.
Gonna sell 15 older cows and probably 25-30 calves in a couple weeks. That should help the situation.

Bringing this back up.
Started strip grazing last week. We had a very dry fall so it's not nearly as good as it has been in the past. Plus I have doubled my number of cows. But still should have enough stockpile fescue to last until mid February.
Fed more hay during November and December than I did all of last year.
Gonna sell 15 older cows and probably 25-30 calves in a couple weeks. That should help the situation.
Did the recent extreme cold effect your fescue like it did mine? Mine is not green at all now, completely dormant. I moved the yearling steers home that were on stockpile right before that weather rolled in so that I didn't have another set of cattle to tend at another location, glad I did because there's no green at all to it now.

Its been dry in the part of Virginia from July into November. So we also didn't get much fall growth here and our winter stockpile is much smaller. Bought a few south polls too. I also strip graze and so had to buy hay.

The stockpile lost its color with ice & snow and then when we got to -1 degrees before Christmas. I need to get it tested and see if I need lick tubs. I've seen people start using stockpile December 1 through late January. I know grass declines in protein through winter. This winter we should have started earlier.

Last edited:
Did the recent extreme cold effect your fescue like it did mine? Mine is not green at all now, completely dormant. I moved the yearling steers home that were on stockpile right before that weather rolled in so that I didn't have another set of cattle to tend at another location, glad I did because there's no green at all to it now.
Mine is still pretty and green. I will get some pictures today.

Latest posts