Stockpile ? for Fescue Fans

Help Support CattleToday:

We stockpile fescue here in mo, but are experience has been to graze as long as we have it, not feed hay in fall.
We rotational graze and keep are upper fescue fields for fall/ winter. ( bottom grounds are reeds canary and Johnson grasses. Flood ground) we have found after beginning of January with too much snow/ freeze they just trample in ground and waste. Our average field in fescue is 10-15 acres.
I believe you have to figure out what works in your operation, and area.
We start Feeding hay in early January usually.
Which, I would say really helps having your location listed, as we all have very different circumstances when reading posts.

We stockpile fescue here in mo, but are experience has been to graze as long as we have it, not feed hay in fall.
We rotational graze and keep are upper fescue fields for fall/ winter. ( bottom grounds are reeds canary and Johnson grasses. Flood ground) we have found after beginning of January with too much snow/ freeze they just trample in ground and waste. Our average field in fescue is 10-15 acres.
Which, I would say really helps having your location listed, as we all have very different circumstances when reading posts.
You are correct in that location makes a huge difference. I posted a couple weeks ago that we rarely have snow and then got 5". But it was gone in 2 days and they grazed even in the snow.

An advanced snow country technique is to create a spring stockpile to allow a 2 to 3 week earlier turnout. There may not be a large amount of stockpiled forage, but the (not grazed last fall) roots with have a lot of energy stored, and grow vigorously in early spring.

How long are you grazing the "stockpiled" fescue? Have you considered feeding hay in Oct-Dec (or however long you expect stockpile to last) and then turning in on stockpile in Jan? More often than not, our Jan-March stockpile tests much better than our hay, PLUS the endophyte is not quite as hot the longer you stockpile it. Several years we have new growth starting in the stockpile by early March that helps boost the quallity as well. We calve in the Fall and try to feed second cutting from about mid Oct-New Years and then kick them out on stockpile afterwards with some first cutting just to give them the option. They'll go from eating 3 bales a day to a bale a week. Pretty sure they don't need it, but we don't have to worry if the weather turns bad that way. We always put the first cut bales in the weedy spots so we can clear them out and seed them all at the same time. Just a thought for you to consider. It works extremely well for us. If we see we are going to have any excess hay, the Feb-March market for hay is usually selling for a premium at that time.

Grazing lodged OG now. Had some soft snow earlier and the cows grazed thru it. It has melted a refroze a bit now and is "crusty". Cows are grazing tuffs that poke thru this crust but not pushing any around. They will grazed for a while and then complain. Any tips?

Had an old timer tell me to pull a harrow around...

Updates, my fescue this fall looks to be the best I have ever had. All the cows are still cleaning up grass on other areas and other farms. Pretty sure I won't feed but a few bales if any before I start grazing the stockpile even though I bought 60 rolls yesterday.
Probably buy a few thin cows to sell later this winter when the price gets high. Will unroll the bought hay and any waste will be fertilizer. Bought 4x5 rolls for 17.50 loaded. 6 miles from my farm.
Will take more pictures over Thanksgiving.

Latest posts