Stockmans Knives

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle

Reaction score
Time to retire the trusty Old Timer. Had some fellers even tell me they quit making them, to put it away. I've been looking at Moore, Hen & Rooster, Case and Carl Schlieper (spelling). Any comments on your favorites? My interest lies only in stockmans style, with clip, sheepsfoot and spey blades.

I've been carrying a Buck Cadet model, might be a number 303, for at least 25 years and it seems like a lot longer then that. Other then the ones I've lost I'm only on my 4th one. Blades get worn down from sharpening. I suppose I could send them back to Buck and they'ld replace the blades but I don;t want to be without one so I just break a new one out of the box and put the old one in a drawer.

dun

The Old Timer used to be the blade. Now they have went to the stainless like so many other brands. The Hen and Rooster carries a little better grade in the steel, than most do now. If it was me, I'd go with a Buck.

I like the Solingen Tree Brand with 4 blades. Most always have at least one sharp blade.

I think they call it a "Congress" style.

I always carry my little diamond stone in my back pocket. It's embarassing to have a dull blade. That makes 2 that would choose a Buck knife over Case, Moore Maker and the German knives.

D.R. Cattle":2p0poin3 said:
My interest lies only in stockmans style, with clip, sheepsfoot and spey blades.

Ebay has some good knives from time to time. I've been picking up several of the old Marbles knives. I just did a search there on "stockman" and got over 1000 hits. I selected "knives, sords, and blades" and there were 695 in collectables. Some are very old out of estates and look brand new. You may want to check that out.

I have a full size folding buck and its hard to beat. My wife bought me a SOG knife for my birthday and it is a quality knife as well. Unlike the Buck ,the SOG has a safety that prevents the blade from closing when it is in the locked open position . It also will lock in the closed position, to prevent accidental opening.

D.R. Cattle":18ae94ya said:
Time to retire the trusty Old Timer. Had some fellers even tell me they quit making them, to put it away. I've been looking at Moore, Hen & Rooster, Case and Carl Schlieper (spelling). Any comments on your favorites? My interest lies only in stockmans style, with clip, sheepsfoot and spey blades.

Case Sowbelly

Caustic Burno":g4v40m5u said:
D.R. Cattle":g4v40m5u said:

Case Sowbelly

CB, You really DO have a thing for them Hogs, don't you? :lol:

Are you a "Razorback" fan too? ;-)

Case Stockman. I have a couple Bucks I bought years ago when I was overseas. I have the hardest time getting an edge on them after they loose it. Just a couple minutes and the Case is ready again.

I like the Kabar 1100 stockman knife. They no longer make them, but you can find a nice one now and then on Ebay.

I would have to go with the american made Case, i think the Buck is made in China now.

Latest posts