Stockman Grass Farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
Do any of your subscribe to the Stockman Grass Farmer? What is your opinion of it? I have subscribed for several years and I think it is going downhill.

I got a sample copy a year or so ago and found two totally incorrect, actaully stupid statements. It seems like they had an agenda and anything to fill the rest of the publication was was filled with any story they could get to fill the space.
I don't recall the second statment, but the first was some joker claiming that his Hereford bulls were so prepotent that when bred to Registerd angus cows the calves were all horned. Must be some bull to be able to pass two genes for a single trait.
inquired from the publisher and never received a response so I figured they didn't need my money

dun

Fred":twkwn96y said:
Do any of your subscribe to the Stockman Grass Farmer? What is your opinion of it? I have subscribed for several years and I think it is going downhill.

subscribed for several years and it is a small (half dozen person) operation. it's like everything else written, read it all, believe half, and remember the veiwpoint of the writer. Lots of good info, and I really like the fact it challenges the established wisdom on so many subjects. HOWEVER: yea he repeats articals, yes he has a definite view--almost to the point of having an ax to grind, and advertizers definitly get favorable press. But I suspect that Sucessful Farming got several tool cats to play with given whats been on several of their covers.

We got the pub for several years but decided the info was for ranchers/farmers south of the mason/dixon line. The grass managing principles were good but the stock piled forage and soutehern grass species do not due well in maine. The quality of articles of laters issues are not the same, but that goes for more magazines and trade journals of lately.

I subscibed for a couple of years and felt the same as PatB. There was some good information but most of it was written for a different climate. By the way PatB how do you have "NorWest Angus" in Maine? I live in Washington State which is in the NorthWest and Maine seems a long ways East of here. But then people in Ohio consider it to be in the MidWest. They must teach geography different back there.

Dave

Norwest Angus started out as Norwest Guernsey's in washington/oregon area. Dad bought the Norwest Guernsey herd sometime in the 60's and kept the name. At the time we lived in philomath Oregon and moved to Maine in 1970. He has always registered the different breeds we have had as Norwest. Somewhere in the Guernsey, jersey, saler, Angus and maybe several herd books you will find Norwest name.

That makes sense. I wasn't rying to be a smart aleck or anything. I just so often see things labeled northwest that are way east of here.

Dave

Just about any place is Norwest of somewhere

dun

Anonymous":1y2rt2lq said:
That makes sense. I wasn't rying to be a smart aleck or anything. I just so often see things labeled northwest that are way east of here.

Dave

That is true Dun. But I live near the coast and I am east of Hawaii so does that mean I live on the east coast? Well for that matter I am northeast of Hawaii so do I live in the northeast? I could say that I am north of Mexico so I must be in Texas. But I wouldn't go there it might get a few peoples dander up here. All depends on the way you define geography.

Dave

Latest posts