stocking density

Help Support CattleToday:

LON0909

Reaction score
what would be the stocking rate in Christian County MO or just south of there?

Too many variables to have a hard and fast answer. Talk to your extension office or NRCS.

I don't know your area but from my experience in the areas I've been involved running cattle in it varies a lot from pasture to pasture.Many variables determine the stocking rate. In our pastures it varies from 10-25 acres per cow on a year round basis. Amount of trees, brush, soil type, is it bottom ground or higher ground , how deep is the topsoil are just a few of the things we consider when determining stocking rates. The best advice I've found when using a new pasture especially in a new area is a local cowman who has pastures in good shape. Too many use standard stocking rates and overgraze their pastures. Whether ground is cleared or you are using rotational grazing also makes a difference. These are just my opinions from my experiences.

dun":3jggwrk3 said:
Too many variables to have a hard and fast answer. Talk to your extension office or NRCS.
Yep, some here talk of a cow per 25 acres and I am still on grass at a cow per 1.5 acres. In 3 more years I will be at a cow per acre I think and graze 10 months. But my inputs are higher.

kenny thomas":2nii3gnj said:
dun":2nii3gnj said:
Yep, some here talk of a cow per 25 acres and I am still on grass at a cow per 1.5 acres. In 3 more years I will be at a cow per acre I think and graze 10 months. But my inputs are higher.

25 acres per cow in Virginia? I thought Virginia soil was fertile as anywhere. Must be like a group of 30 cows I looked at buying last week. They were on 600 acres, 500 of which was woods, and they were pretty poor, that old farm probably has never been fertilized or sprayed.
In our part of the country we usually figure 2 acres of open ground per pair without fertilize or spray....1 acre per pair if fertilize/spray. Woods don't count. Each farm is different, so you can adjust herd size after the first season.

Midtenn":dcj8rupo said:
kenny thomas":dcj8rupo said:
dun":dcj8rupo said:

25 acres per cow in Virginia? I thought Virginia soil was fertile as anywhere. Must be like a group of 30 cows I looked at buying last week. They were on 600 acres, 500 of which was woods, and they were pretty poor, that old farm probably has never been fertilized or sprayed.
In our part of the country we usually figure 2 acres of open ground per pair without fertilize or spray....1 acre per pair if fertilize/spray. Woods don't count. Each farm is different, so you can adjust herd size after the first season.
Sorry, not 25 acres per cow here in VA, I meant here on Cattle Today.

kenny thomas":14aki8xo said:
dun":14aki8xo said:
Kenny I imagine your average rainfall is higher than ours along with our hot summers we try to err on the side of caution

kenny thomas":1vwq70nj said:

What is the most economical stocking density for $150 calves?

elkwc":3vefbtb7 said:
kenny thomas":3vefbtb7 said:
dun":3vefbtb7 said:
Kenny I imagine your average rainfall is higher than ours along with our hot summers we try to err on the side of caution
48" rainfall.
I'm still out on what's the most economical. Hard to get good grazing here so I spend on the land I own. Rent some hayland.

Stocker Steve":3oilihpj said:
kenny thomas":3oilihpj said:

What is the most economical stocking density for $150 calves?

Weaned calves at $150 / each?

I'd be inclined to burger everything non-donor quality over 5 years of age and plow every penny into young bred 2nd timers.

LON0909":1xnxn2j2 said:

Welcome to the board!

Here is an article from the University of Missouri Extension that explains how many pounds of forage a cow needs. http://agebb.missouri.edu/news/ext/show ... y_num=5292

You need to look at many factors, such as breed of cattle, what is the quality level of your pasture, how many acres do you have for grazing, will you use irrigation, will you produce or buy hay, and other factors. You also need to consider that some years there will be plenty of rain and some years are dry.

My suggestion is be conservative with the number of cows you have on pasture. If you find that you can feed more cattle, keep heifers or buy more to add to your herd.

Bullitt":enkikfzj said:
LON0909":enkikfzj said:

Welcome to the board!

Here is an article from the University of Missouri Extension that explains how many pounds of forage a cow needs. http://agebb.missouri.edu/news/ext/show ... y_num=5292

You need to look at many factors, such as breed of cattle, what is the quality level of your pasture, how many acres do you have for grazing, will you use irrigation, will you produce or buy hay, and other factors. You also need to consider that some years there will be plenty of rain and some years are dry.

My suggestion is be conservative with the number of cows you have on pasture. If you find that you can feed more cattle, keep heifers or buy more to add to your herd.
That's the way I manage around here, buy or sell according to grass and hay supplies. My stocking rate is one to one not including the woods. I like burning the woods in winter and putting the cows on the new growth in the spring. It gives my pastures time to get going if we have rain. RAIN is the deciding factor around here on carrying capacity.

kenny thomas":33p0ftt3 said:
dun":33p0ftt3 said:

Iam at a cow per 1.5 acre but the problem I have with that is the 3 or so months that I feed hay there's so many animals in a small space that feeding hay makes a huge mess

pricefarm":3165y2br said:
kenny thomas":3165y2br said:
dun":3165y2br said:

Iam at a cow per 1.5 acre but the problem I have with that is the 3 or so months that I feed hay there's so many animals in a small space that feeding hay makes a huge mess
You have thge same acres to feed on that you graze on don't you. A hay unroller is the best asset to not having a mess.

kenny thomas":2ehad0lz said:
pricefarm":2ehad0lz said:
kenny thomas":2ehad0lz said:

You have thge same acres to feed on that you graze on don't you. A hay unroller is the best asset to not having a mess.

I do but it seems like once the grass is all grazed off and its wet it becomes a mess pretty fast. I have thought about getting a hay unroller but I really don't have the time to feed hay everyday.

It takes a commitment and when I'm feeding it's usually after dark. I still have 30 days+ of stockpilke but I been feeding hay on the frozen ground.

The size of your cow is also important. Do they weigh 1700lbs or 1100lbs? Some won't agree but I've seen it first hand-those 1700+ cows require more acres than their 1100lb sisters.

Yes it does. This winter so far has been dry and cold so there's not really any mud problems yet. I feed in the dark to at least 5 days a week. I have good lights around the barn so I can get a good look at them like that. I feed cattle at 3 different places so I try and break it up so I don't have to feed at all 3 places in one night

For years I done the same thing. As much as 4 different places to feed. It is much harder to do.
Now it's 1 place so I don't mind it so bad.

Latest posts