Stockers on Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Varmer Vires

Reaction score
Greetings,

Wanted to see the input/success/failures of others who have tried a group of stockers.

Looking at 3-4 CWT calves would like all steers but will probably be a mix of heifers and steers.

Have 70 acres of fenced and currently stockpiled grass.

Looking to see stocking rate recommended would be and put together a pot load to take off when gains accomplished

Wanting to use minimal inputs other than minerals, salts, fly prevention, vaccines, deworming protocol.

Thought about supplementing with a 3 way blend of corn gluten, soy hulls, cracked corn.

We have cow calf operation on other part of farm. Just looking at stocking/backgrounding a group and taking off once at potload numbers/weight.

Thanks
JR

:welcome: welcome to the boards

don't have input on your topic, but should be good discusion

This should be a good discussion. In my opinion, 3-4 wgts are extremely risky, we don't know where you are so hard to know what your weather is, do you have hard winters? The margin on stockers is thin, doesn't matter what weight. Purchase price vs feed equates to the same margin, so in my opinion, you're better off buying premium weaned and vacced 550's. You'll spend a lot of money putting frame on the smaller ones, with more health problems. If you are lucky, and the market cooperates, you'll average maybe 60-100 bucks a head profit. If you're not, you can lose your shirt. With the market like it is , I would buy some bred cows, wean the calves, and put them with my others next year for this experiment. My .02

Thanks for the welcome! Also thank you for the replies.

Located in Kentucky.

Was looking at purchasing them in late winter just before spring.

So best option to keep feed cost low is buy 550s keep till 1000 plus or so grazed on grass then take off to market?

I wondered about buying the cheaper calves but with the the u developed rumens and trailer weaning I was hesitant. Seemed to good to be true.

I like the idea that was mentioned above about buying the bigger healthier ones.

I backgrounded for years. It's a crap shoot. Pick calves that look like they have plenty of frame to grow, because thats were the gain is at that age. I always feed the same basic ration you described. @ 5-6 pounds per head per day. Groth oriented calves getting a little feed should hit 50 pounds of groth per month. Some do more, but if they do less it's a losing proposition. I quit in 2014, the risk just seemed to high while cattle were high. I haven't gotten back in, and feel like the market is lined up to make some money. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do that.

I like them a little heavier. I buy 400-500. Some times as low as 370 if it is a good framed calf. I don't buy the butter ball fat calves. If possible I buy weaned calves. There is as much money made in how you buy them as there is in how you raise them.

I guess with the main diet to consist of grass in order to keep inputs low, with some grain, the further a long and better developed their rumen is probably a safer more cost effective and less stress. I do see the value in avoiding the 250 lb bawling calves...

Varmer Vires said:
I guess with the main diet to consist of grass in order to keep inputs low, with some grain, the further a long and better developed their rumen is probably a safer more cost effective and less stress. I do see the value in avoiding the 250 lb bawling calves...

It's hard to keep them consistent. If you buy 70 475 black calves, they don't hit 725 all at the same time.

Again, plan would be to use as much grass as possible minimizing inputs.

Anyone have a cost approach to their mineral and salt program?

Trying to set budget for each head.

Varmer Vires said:
Again, plan would be to use as much grass as possible minimizing inputs.

Anyone have a cost approach to their mineral and salt program?

Trying to set budget for each head.

If you are looking into grazing stockers, i would suggest you read "Thoughts and Advice from an Old Cattleman" by Gordon Hazard. Not only has it helped with my grazing, but also the finances. It is a great book and has helped me with my program as well.

Light mismanaged calves are not stockers. They are not mature enough to do well on cow pasture. They are high risk back grounding opportunities. Smart guys - like Dave - don't buy them less than about 350#. Risk seekers go down to about 250#, pen them tight, mass medicate, and provide plenty of energy to get them started.

Turn out weight depends on sex, genetics, pasture, and your level of management. A range of 450 to 600# works for most.