Stockers on Alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

Tri-Co Sheep Co.

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,

I just bought a place up here in the great Texas Panhandle a couple miles from the home place, and its got a half miler on it nozzled at 1500gpm. In the past when we had rain in the summer (dang thats been awhile) we'd bring in some Holstein stockers to graze the Kochias. This taught us a lot about how to control bloat....so.....since we are perty good at that now..I wander, instead of haying the alfalfa under the circle, how good of gains would I get putting stockers on it? We've done the MiG on improved grass, and I think it'd work on alfalfa if we started the calves on slow....I was just wandering if anybody knew what kind of gains I could expect. Thanks ya'll.....adios

Nothing you said. Sorry no offence intended. Just reminded me of an earlier conversation.

Personally I think it would be a waste of good resources. Most of the nutrition is going to squirt out behind them. Seems like the alfalfa as hay would have a better value.

dun

Dun,

It's the same if your feeding them alfalfa in a pen, so why not just let 'em squirt in the field and save the harvesting cost? Also, this may not be too big a problem as the alfalfa around us only tests about 15-16% protein.

Tri-Co Sheep Co.":2h1tv9a8 said:
Dun,

It's the same if your feeding them alfalfa in a pen, so why not just let 'em squirt in the field and save the harvesting cost? Also, this may not be too big a problem as the alfalfa around us only tests about 15-16% protein.

I figured you'ld sell the high priced stuff and buy other hay. Around here alfalfa runs better then double the price of high quality grass/clover hay or even top quality prairie hay.

dun

But, if you're feeding the higher cost alfalfa hay, rather than a 'grain' supplement, you're filling their forage need as well as boosting their nutrition. The pros and cons of feeding alfalfa have to be considered in light of the alternative supplement you're planning on feeding through the winter, if your cheaper grass hay is so good that your weaning calves, your momma cows, and your bred cows, need nothing beyond that good grass hay, then obviously alfalfa, or any grain, would be a waste of money.

Latest posts