Stocker buyer question

Help Support CattleToday:

okiek

Reaction score
I keep cows a pretty significant distance from home through the summer. I fill that pasture with 5 weight stockers. For years I gave Micotil as soon as I got them home, along with all vaccines. Through the years of hearing of deaths associated with Micotil, it scared me off of it. Last year I had my vet work calves (Including Micotil) the first time. Decided if I wan't to make any money I better back off that. This year, I decided vaccines only and watch them close for a couple of weeks before they go to grass. Now I swear I can almost hear them coughing in my sleep, though I know it's only my fears working on me. What does everyone who buys stockers do?

1- Routine expensive antibiotic such as Nuflor, Micotil, etc...
2- Vaccines only
3- Antibiotic only if you think there's a need
4- Something even better I haven't thought of?

Some let them settle a week then work and temp them all. Give hot ones a shot of draxxin. Zactran will be a bit cheaper for mass treatment. CTC in feed will knock the coughing out, these radical temperature fluctuations have caused some trouble with that.

Yes.
Depends on the cattle and the timing and the weather.
Some cattle jockeys here use a half dose of Draxin at receiving.
I used to work them the day after receiving, and included generic antibiotic, but there are differences of opinion on this. I currently like Inforce Three early and Zactran for cleanup.
Temping cattle is a great tip.

Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7 blackleg, Cydectin injectable, Tetnus antitoxoid, Vitinam AD. Ralgro or equivalent, ear tag, castrate. This is within an hour of unloading. Very rare for me to Dr a calf afterward.

When I bring in calves we will blackleg, pinkeye, and worm them. Most times I will feed a medicated receiving/preconditioning feed for a few days to a week depending on how quick they take to feed. When we were having a vet work them they were also given Draxxin, but I haven't done that since we have been working them ourselves. In the interest of safety I would not use Micotil, just too much at stake to take that chance especially when there are other antibiotics like Draxxin, Nuflor, Baytril.

I do Enforce 3, Ultrabac8, One Shot, Imovec plus, and a blast of LA200 right after they get off the trailer. Watch them close with Draxxin handy. Doing temps at day 7 is a good idea. Any castration is done when vaccinations are boosted three weeks later.

I appreciate all the replies. I think I will take a temp on all of them when they go back through the chute this weekend. Glad I asked. That is a lot cheaper than throwing antibiotic at them all. Mineral will have CTC too as these calves will be right on the Red River. Finally, KY Hill, I agree with you. It would make you all pass smooth out if you could see the way I used to vaccinate roping calves with Micotil at receiving. I had no idea how dangerous it was. My vet I used at that time sold it to me by the syringe and told me to be careful not to stick myself, but never once told me just how dangerous it was!! He should've been able to tell by looking at me I was young and dumb! :)

okiek":13x23mf5 said:
I appreciate all the replies. I think I will take a temp on all of them when they go back through the chute this weekend. Glad I asked. That is a lot cheaper than throwing antibiotic at them all. Mineral will have CTC too as these calves will be right on the Red River. Finally, KY Hill, I agree with you. It would make you all pass smooth out if you could see the way I used to vaccinate roping calves with Micotil at receiving. I had no idea how dangerous it was. My vet I used at that time sold it to me by the syringe and told me to be careful not to stick myself, but never once told me just how dangerous it was!! He should've been able to tell by looking at me I was young and dumb! :)

I'm glad that it worked out ok when you were using Micotil, it always made me nervous. Our vets didn't use it long and thankfull for that. They were always good to explain and then re emphasize the dangers of it.