stock trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

Anybody know anything about Maxim Industry stock trailers? Looking for a 36ft and I see them on trailer trader quite often.

We use Featherlite. We had a 1999 one that we got more than we paid for it when we traded for a 2013. Mr FH hauls mineral all over the country, gravel roads, scoria roads, 7 ton at a time and never a problem. We had a Wilson but we tore the back rubber bumper and it needed brake work. We took it in to be repaired and they loaned us the '99 Featherlite. We never went back to get the Wilson. Not that I'm saying Wilson aren't good trailers, they are, but there are other good ones too. Mr FH really likes the looks of the new Wilsons.

Sorry can't help on the Maxim trailers, most around here running that size are pulling either an EBY or a Wilson. There are a few old Barretts still on the road too.

Featherlites are the most common but IMO Exiss, Schooner or 4 Star is a much better trailer. I am currently pulling a Featherlite and a 4 Star.

I had a 1990 Featherlite 20' trailer, the sides on it were thicker than the new ones. I sold it for almost as much as I had in it and now have a 20' W & W Aluminum trailer I bought a few years ago. It does not have the saddle compartment about the neck and more open than the Featherlite. On the metal they are just as good just keep them out of the salt, washed out and the same goes for aluminum, but the aluminum will withstand it better..

Sorry can't help on the Maxim trailers, most around here running that size are pulling either an EBY or a Wilson.
I like EBY just can't stomach the $45k price tag they want for 7x32 stock trailer. I haven't priced a Wilson yet. I run both steel and aluminum, pros and cons on both. Just keep them cleaned out and they seem to last. I also spray a rubber liner 3ft up all the way around on the inside of my steel trailer really makes a difference.

We bought a 24' Barrett (Stoughton) aluminum trailer a couple years ago. It's heavy built, I think they use the same fittings as on their semi trailers, and I like that it has grease zerks on the hinges. It was a tough bite to buy the aluminum over steel but we won't ever have to buy another.

What is the longest lasting brand steel stock trailer? Looking for 20'-24'. I'm in nw Missouri, so rust is the big deal. I've looked at some and the paint and welds look horrible.
Seems everyone wants to spend your money on Aluminum without bothering to ask about your needs of how often or how you plan to use it.
So to answer your question...
The S&S Duraline steel livestock trailers I've seen at sale barns in Minnesota look good and seem to stand up well. I think they are manufactured in Ella, Iowa.

Last edited:
Nice, what kind of wax do you use? Love the shop. Seems I have good luck with Meguiars wax.
I use Meguiar's as well. Love it.

Thank you for the kind words on the shop. It comes in handy.

I bet you regret not selling me your truck 4 years ago now that you see what kind of home she would have gone to.

Nice shop! I wash mine pretty often and keep under shed, but have never waxed anything. You can come do mine any day, looks very good!💯 Your the kinda folks I look for when buying equipment. Kept indoors and care enough to wax then you know the rest of the tractor has been upkept as well.

Latest posts