stock trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

krob

Reaction score
I know I am probably opening a can of worms, but here it goes. What is the longest lasting brand steel stock trailer? Looking for 20'-24'. I'm in nw Missouri, so rust is the big deal. I've looked at some and the paint and welds look horrible.

Haven't looked closely at a steel trailer in a while. Titan used to make a trailer that would hold paint.

give some thought to aluminum. Consider resale value. What any piece of equipment ends up costing you, is the amount it depreciates in the time you own it. My tractors are 60 years old, because I hate depreciation. My cow trailer is aluminum, because I hate depreciation.

Aluminum is the way to go if you can afford it. Used ones aren't too terribly priced. We went through four steel trailers and one homemade setup before buying aluminum. Wished we'd have bought one fifteen or twenty years ago and cried about it then. Would have been money ahead by now.

We just purchased a 24' Travalum (aluminum) trailer after debating steel vs aluminum, much on the recommendations of a lot of folks on here and for the reasons above. We have a 20' Travalong now that's been a good trailer but rust has taken over, needs a floor, etc.

Hopefully the Travalum will be a good one.

Wilson aluminum is the way to go. I know a cattle buyer that goes to a sale 6 days a week. He pulls a 8x20' Wilson. I have never seen his truck with out the trailer. He gets 5-6 years out of them before the axles wear out.
We have 2 Wilson trailers both 24' long. I wouldn't want anything else.

An old man in Mississippi told me recently that if you are buying an aluminum trailer for gas mileage you didn't have a good aluminum. The difference in how they are made shows up with lots of use. A light trailer shows its light if you haul a lot.
Does the company you drive for also make trailers for Hillbilly? One sold at auction here this past weekend and I was told it came from the factory in Sneedville. I assumed it was some sort of a trade they took in.

Does the company you drive for also make trailers for Hillbilly? One sold at auction here this past weekend and I was told it came from the factory in Sneedville. I assumed it was some sort of a trade they took in.
Only Kiefer now but not sure what the previous owner built. Current owners took over in December 2015.

Latest posts