stock trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

baldy

Reaction score
Is anyone out there pulling smaller gooseneck trailers with a half-ton pickup?I pull a 6x16 bumper now with mine. I put airbags on the pickup and it handles the weight allright but I live in the flatlands too.I have never pulled it more than50 miles loaded either. I was thinking about a 16 or 18 foot model.

Ive never done it, but Ive seen it done before. At Ft Worth, one of the breeders came in with an older Chevy 1500 with a large gooseneck trailer loaded with cattle. We are thinking about putting a gooseneck in the new F-150 to pull the bull and incoming heifer to all the shows, dont see why it couldnt pull a small gooseneck and 2 cattle.

Our neighbour uses a 2001 Chevy gas 1/2 ton to pull his 20 foot steel gooseneck. Big change from his 1990 Ford 3/4 diesel. Pulls real hard going up hills when loaded with anything. He once half-loaded it with lumber and almost didn't make up one of the bigger hills around this area. He can haul a full load of calves (12-15?) with it, but has to stick to the flatter roads and smaller hills to go anywhere. Can only put about 2 cows in each of the compartments as well. Know of quite a few guys that pull bumpers with their 1/2 tons...loaded to the hilt..no problems. Goosenecks are a whole other ballfield, and I would suggest you go for a 3/4 ton, rather than try and tackle them with a 1/2 ton.

baldy":ikmfl0d7 said:
Is anyone out there pulling smaller gooseneck trailers with a half-ton pickup?I pull a 6x16 bumper now with mine. I put airbags on the pickup and it handles the weight allright but I live in the flatlands too.I have never pulled it more than50 miles loaded either. I was thinking about a 16 or 18 foot model.

It can be done. Aluminum or steel? Loaded the truck will probably not pull it in overdrive. Not pulling in overdrive will put additional wear on the truck and increase operating costs. This is from past experience. My advice is get a 3/4 ton even if used just to pull with.

I have seen it done before. I have seen it done with a goose neck and a really heavily loaded bumper pull trailer. I would not sugest it, the truck really had a hard time. If you do do it make sure you have good suspension.

know a guy that did it for awhile with a gooseneck & had to replace engine & tranny after a while. another guy tried it & had to put a transmission cooler on, but truck still couldn't stand it so he got a bigger truck

Not only do you have to worry about pulling the trailer but 1/2 ton pickup is not heavy enough to stop loaded trailer if trailer brakes fail.

Make sure it's an all ALUMINUM trailer, stick to flat terrain and you'll probably be okay. I pulled a 16' stock trailer with two bulls around 1,800 lbs each with a '96 5.2L (318 cu in) 4x2 Dodge 1/2 ton for a little over a year.

Yeah, I blew the tranny, but that had happened a couple times before, so I write off the cause being Dodge's crummy 46RE automatic transmission, which isn't known for reliability. If ya think you're safe with the Dodge 5.9L (360 cu in) engine, you're not, they use the 46RE on those models too. Ya gotta get the V10 or the Cummins to get the "good" automatic tranny (47RE). I now have a '01 Dodge 1/2 ton with the same engine and tranny - I never tow with it, just drive it to work and back. But funny enough it's been in the transmission shop just as much. Go figure.

Back home, we pulled a 16' loaded stock trailer ever now and then with a 1990 Ford Ranger (with the rare, BIG 4.0L V6). But not very far - only down the road and back. And the transmission eventually blew in that truck as well. Not to mention the shocks.

If the road's the slightest bit hilly (even down here in Florida sometimes - like when going over an overpass), make sure you use your "overdrive off" or "tow/haul" button. Constant shifting between gears will tear up your transmission right quick.

Also, bear in mind if ya have 4x4, the rated towing capacity is less (because of the extra weight of the front drivetrain). I wouldn't try using the 4WD while towing a loaded trailer - the front differential probably isn't up to the strain.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

cowboy13":34w4s1hr said:
our 03 cummins yanks our aluminum 30 ft trailer around fully loaded, same for our 98. fords and chevys just can't beat the power of a cummins

I'm not going fishing today. This may start an interesting thread. ;-)

flaboy

How true!

My Dodge is better than your Ford is better than your Chev is better than your diesel is better than your gas.

My 1/2 ton is better than your 3/4 ton is better than your one ton.

Heck with it - I will use my PeterBuilt and a tri-axle pot. Got you all beat!

:D

Bez

lets see i know guys pulling 16 to 20ft goosenecks with 1/2 tons right now but they dont pull them that much but it will beat a truck out pulling like that as for dodges have a friend that swore by 5speeds he had a 98 dodge diesel and befor he had 80.000 on it replaced the clutch 6 times pulling a 30ft featherlite 1000mi a wk then in 2002 he got smart went from a chevy back to 1ton dodge with the auto an hasnt had no more probs so its really whatever works an wont fly apart on you pulling goosenecks scott

Latest posts