stock trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Does any one out there have any ideas about slip and slid proofing a new stock trailer to keep the livestock safe. I have thought about one of the heavy duty fencing panels with the 4 inch grid. Any other ideas that would make the trailer comfortable for the livestock.

Aaron, how much grief is it to clean the tar/gravel mix? I'm redoing my stock trailer floor this year and was seriously thinking about coating the floor with spray in bedliner. Good non-slip surface and easy to wash with a pressure washer. But your tar/gravel mix has me thinking.

Rod

As long as you coat it heavily with gravel, so very little tar is showing, I don't think it should be a problem. You might have tar stuck to your shoes the first while, but it eventually hardens pretty stiff.

nonslip rubber mats are ok. Its basically a spray in bedliner. Any aliminum corigated floor with gravel and sand on top is pretty good but has to be cleaned out after a few loads. Wood floors are ok just make sure you tar them or get them coated so that they don't rot and then put sand and gravel on top.

DiamondSCattleCo":2xuvmdke said:
Do you use a fairly fine gravel? Any problems with water build up between stones and frost damage?

Rod

Doesn't have to be sand-blasting fine, but not pit-run either :lol: . Gravel with light stone no bigger than the tip of your pinkie finger/size of a dime. Never thought of water buildup or front damage. Can't see it being a big thing.

You wouldn't have to cover the entire floor. Maybe drizzle the tar on, or in discrete lines w/ spaces of bare floor in between.

Thanks for the info Aaron. I think I'm going to give it a try. I have a whack of roofing tar and some landscaping gravel here, so it'd save me the several hundred dollars I was looking at to do the bedliner. Well, its the wife's gravel, but a bucketful is soon going to be donated for a better cause :)

Rod

hurleyjd":24xidocf said:
Does any one out there have any ideas about slip and slid proofing a new stock trailer to keep the livestock safe. I have thought about one of the heavy duty fencing panels with the 4 inch grid. Any other ideas that would make the trailer comfortable for the livestock.

I use cattle panel cheapest and easiest way.

We haul horses in the livestock trailer as well as the cattle, so we went with the thick rubber mats. They work real well for both. I was afraid to put the horses on livestock panels. I had a horse get it's hoof caught in a fence - wire went between the shoe and the hoof bottom. Nice little wreck. I was afraid the same might happen with a loose end of the livestock panel in the trailer.

I have treated pine floor with a cattle panel stapled down. Some folks don't staple them but I saw something this yr. that makes me believe that's not a good practice.

A friend of mind stopped by my place on his way to getting a BSE on a young bull. While I was looking at the bull I noticed about a 3 ft strand of the panel had come unwelded from his pawing. It was against his belly and pointed directly at his working parts. He was in a bind and we had to be very careful in getting him out of the situation. We opened the cut gate so that he had more room away from the detached strand. The vet's place is adjacent to my farm. Friend said he would turn the panel over when he unloaded him at the clinic. I suppose he made a more permanent correction when he got back home.

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a 6 X 16 foot long WW roustabout gooseneck stock trailer. I came by the Co-Op and bought a heavy duty bull panel. It is 60 inches wide by 16 foot long. The rods in it are 5/16 in. in diameter. The trailer has a 5 inch wide channel iron every four feet. I am going to weld the panel to them. I turned the rods that are long ways on the panel so the are against the floor. This should make it easer to wash out. I hope it last as long as the last trailer I bought. I have used it since 1973. It is pretty rough now needs some panels replaced that are rusted through. I am going to sell it and let the next man that wants to own it fix it up.

hurleyjd":2n4huhib said:
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a 6 X 16 foot long WW roustabout gooseneck stock trailer. I came by the Co-Op and bought a heavy duty bull panel. It is 60 inches wide by 16 foot long. The rods in it are 5/16 in. in diameter. The trailer has a 5 inch wide channel iron every four feet. I am going to weld the panel to them. I turned the rods that are long ways on the panel so the are against the floor. This should make it easer to wash out. I hope it last as long as the last trailer I bought. I have used it since 1973. It is pretty rough now needs some panels replaced that are rusted through. I am going to sell it and let the next man that wants to own it fix it up.

I have an old Hanover pretty much set up the same way as yours. After I wash it out and it dries I spray it down with diesel on the floor and sides out of a pump up sprayer. Years and years of use wood is still good and no rust.

In 1995 I ordered a WW 5x16 bumper pull stock trailer. I had never heard of WW trailers prior to that time. I saw their add in Western Horseman magazine. At that time, I lived in Nevada and drove to Henrietta, Texas to pick the trailer up (diesel was $1/gal). As I recall I paid $2200, which included steel belted radial tires, breaks on both axles and spare tire and wheel. I used that trailer for eight years. I hauled lumber, furniture, livestock and I can't remember what else. When I sold it I got $1800.00 for it, but it was not beat up. The only reason I sold it was when it was loaded (four horses) it swayed and was not stable on the road. I bought the 5' wide because I didn't want the Mrs. towing anything wider than the truck. It was a great little trailer for the price. There have been times when I wish I still had it. I hope you have good service with yours. Tom :hat:

Latest posts