Stock Trailer Tire

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I was working on fences today and when I drove by my Stock Trailer I noticed what appeared to be a Squirrel sitting on top of one tire, I did not think much about it but later when passing by I noticed the Squirrel had not moved so I took a closer look. The tire had blown out and the tread had separated from the casing, it had not been driven flat. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I had it happen on the side wall. It was a cut that went down through most of the fabric but not all the way through.
I did have a set of tires that grew mumps about the size of an egg. Bought them new, turned out the manufacturer had recalled all of them but the joint I got them from had kept some and sold them. The fabric on those had seperated inside and air leaked between the fabric and the rubber tread. Noticed the problem on a trip we made the day after we bought them. The trip was to the town we were going to move to. Was lucky enough to find a dealer that was so pizzed he gave us a new set of tires. Take a guess who got all of our tire business when we moved there and lived there for 12 years.

That happens regular on our trailer. Its part of the fun. When you go to load some calves and hook to the trailer on to find bad tires. So you go the the farms store and buy another ten dollar pull pull off tire to put on it. If it was up to me, Id buy four brand new ten plys to go on it.

Craig Miller":2ddv802v said:
That happens regular on our trailer. Its part of the fun. When you go to load some calves and hook to the trailer on to find bad tires. So you go the the farms store and buy another ten dollar pull pull off tire to put on it. If it was up to me, Id buy four brand new ten plys to go on it.
Craig Miller, the tires are 10 ply Uniroyal and the other three still look new. I'm going to a Uniroyal dealer and see if the warranty will replace it. This matched set have less than six thousand miles on them.

We've had a lot of problems with Uniroyal tires... either from terrible wear patterns to blowouts and separation..

If you want a tire that takes a beating, get a fully steel belted 14 ply (for 16" rims at least).

I have had a few explode sitting parked. Had one couple weeks ago spare on stocktrailer beside a metal hay barn and very large metal tobacco barn, sounded like a bomb went off.

Neighbor had a tire shredded on my trailer hauling lambs to the sale on a reasonably cool day. Tire was the last tire that was on the trailer when I bought it used 12 yrs ago so it has done alright.

Now has 4 matching but put on at different times 7.50R-16 14 ply China tires. The newest replacement cost $250.

Another tire that came on the trailer is the spare.

JohnSD, you gotta shop for tires a bit better! I paid 205 CDN for mine, so about 160 USD. My original tires are only 4 years old and I've had about 8 flats with them.. I got sick of it and even though they had tread left I got new ones all around... nothing worse than changing a flat with the trailer rocking back and forth with the cows in it.. and heaven forbid you get 2 flats on the same trip!

Nesikep":3tpa12ry said:
JohnSD, you gotta shop for tires a bit better! I paid 205 CDN for mine, so about 160 USD. My original tires are only 4 years old and I've had about 8 flats with them.. I got sick of it and even though they had tread left I got new ones all around... nothing worse than changing a flat with the trailer rocking back and forth with the cows in it.. and heaven forbid you get 2 flats on the same trip!

Local co-op is kinda high on a lot of things. I'm sure most anywhere else would have been cheaper :oops: But there is something to be said for doing business with a local place 25 miles down the road, instead of making a special trip to the big city. A lot of folks would sure miss them if they were no longer there :idea:

For that reason, I do the majority of my tire business at the local co-op, along with most routine basic vehicle maintenance and minor repairs. Even take my zero turn mower and ATV there :oops:

BTW, neighbor uses the trailer more than I do, and has purchased the last 2 tires himself. I should just sell him the trailer now that it has good rubber on it :D

littletom":3sj38ge1 said:
I have had a few explode sitting parked. Had one couple weeks ago spare on stocktrailer beside a metal hay barn and very large metal tobacco barn, sounded like a bomb went off.

I had a 235-16 tire mounted on the front of the pickup as the spare with no weight on it just blew out one day :eek: :shock: The tire was of unknown age/origin/history, but I had not previously noticed any excessive weathering, bulges, or obvious visual defects whatsoever :???: :???: :???:

kerley":1e3s6t73 said:
I was working on fences today and when I drove by my Stock Trailer I noticed what appeared to be a Squirrel sitting on top of one tire, I did not think much about it but later when passing by I noticed the Squirrel had not moved so I took a closer look. The tire had blown out and the tread had separated from the casing, it had not been driven flat. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Tires will age and moisture may get to the steel belt thru a small break in the tread and rust the belt and the tread will come off.

I called a local Uniroyal Tire dealer and they said that Uniroyal does not warranty tires put on trailers. Then he ask what I hauled and suggested it blew out because I overloaded the trailer. He did offer to sell me a better tire from China at his cost plus mount, balance and tax.

I have been searching the Net for information regarding manufacturing differences between a "Trailer" and "Automobile" or "Truck" tire. Some web site tire dealers will label tires "Trailer Tires" and charge a premium for them but fail to tell the difference.

Does anyone know the difference in a load range "E" trailer tire and a load range "E" Truck tire? I would appreciate your knowledge on this subject.
Kerley

We have a 16' trailer that hauls the shop forklift that has 235/85/16 Kumho tires that have most the tread left on them but they're 2001 tires. One blew out with 4 round bales on the trailer then another starting coming apart pulling the trailer empty. The tire shop had warned me not to haul that forklift with those old tires but we only move the forklift once or twice a year.