Stock Trailer Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Over the next two years I will acquire a roping horse that I'll haul to jackpots, etc., as well as about a dozen mother cows run on a bit of lease pasture some miles from the house. I'll need a trailer that will work for both. I THINK I want a 16' covered stock trailer with a small tack room up front, but I'm not sure. I'd also like your views on a bumper pull versus goose neck model.

16' you could go with bumper pull, but if gooseneck is an option it is so much better. I've got a 24' goose to move horses or cattle. It's not as open as a full stock trailer, but still slatted on the sides for ventilation. Ijust put tack in the nose of the trailer and it works fine. Gooseneck puts all the tongue weight on top of your truck axle rather than hanging off of the back. Pulls very nice, even with 12,000 lbs of cattle in it.

> Over the next two years I will
> acquire a roping horse that I'll
> haul to jackpots, etc., as well as
> about a dozen mother cows run on a
> bit of lease pasture some miles
> from the house. I'll need a
> trailer that will work for both. I
> THINK I want a 16' covered stock
> trailer with a small tack room up
> front, but I'm not sure. I'd also
> like your views on a bumper pull
> versus goose neck model.

> 16' you could go with bumper pull,
> but if gooseneck is an option it
> is so much better. I've got a 24'
> goose to move horses or cattle.
> It's not as open as a full stock
> trailer, but still slatted on the
> sides for ventilation. Ijust put
> tack in the nose of the trailer
> and it works fine. Gooseneck puts
> all the tongue weight on top of
> your truck axle rather than
> hanging off of the back. Pulls
> very nice, even with 12,000 lbs of
> cattle in it.

I would agree and add that you should get one with a roof on it because I have seen rambunctious cattle try to climb and jump out of open top trailers.

[email protected]

on the other hand, it's sometimes harder to get those rambuctious cattle out of covered trailers.

we bought a Gooseneck 20' aluminum open top trailer about 2 yrs ago & love it! so light & pulls great.....should have bought one years ago.

> on the other hand, it's sometimes
> harder to get those rambuctious
> cattle out of covered trailers. LOL! How very true! They get scared comin out of them trailers after a hard bumpy ride.. Go with gooseneck. Gooseneck trailers swings shorter on corner but not as sharp as pull trailers. Besides you can have more weight distribution with gooseneck on your bed. The gooseneck part help put additional room (if you are lucky, you can find one with a bed in it!). goodluck!

[email protected]

> Over the next two years I will
> acquire a roping horse that I'll
> haul to jackpots, etc., as well as
> about a dozen mother cows run on a
> bit of lease pasture some miles
> from the house. I'll need a
> trailer that will work for both. I
> THINK I want a 16' covered stock
> trailer with a small tack room up
> front, but I'm not sure. I'd also
> like your views on a bumper pull
> versus goose neck model.

I've got a 3 horse slant goose neck with a tack room that I use for both. Goose neck is much easier to hook up by yourself. No getting out to see how close you are.