Stock trailer floor?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a utility trailer with removable racks we use to haul our cattle. It was a cheap trailer we got a few years ago and they used regular pine for the floor. Now I need to replace it, would you use treated lumber or something else? I keep rubber mats in the trailer and I know that hurts by holding moisture in there. Thanks for any suggestions.

Use treated lumber. Slightly higher cost more than offsets the cost of replacing a non-treated floor.

After making a haul, remove mats and wash down inside of trailer and let dry thoroughly. Periodically, once or twice a year, re-treat floor with a good Waterseal product or with diesel fuel. Let dry and air out thoroughly. If you're in a high humidity area, leave mats off floor until ready to make a haul.

We use treated lumber- then with LOTS of staples(at every joint) we layed down wire cattle panels. Gives real good footing and has lasted 5 years so far the this trailer and lasted 10 on the last one(for all I know its still going strong)
One thing I learned the hard way was not to haul a horse with shoes in it.
It pawed and hung a shoe- the panel held tight but he pulled the shoe the hard way.

Karen

Has anyone tried that spray/brush on bed liner stuff for pickup beds? Seems like it would work if you leave the edges of the boards and the ends clear of the stuff so moisture doesn't get trapped and the material the cows deposit can run out.

dun

dun":1xv04fsr said:
Has anyone tried that spray/brush on bed liner stuff for pickup beds? Seems like it would work if you leave the edges of the boards and the ends clear of the stuff so moisture doesn't get trapped and the material the cows deposit can run out.

dun

i don't know about all types of the spray-on liners, but the ones i do know of are very slick. a joke about them is don't put your dog in the back of a truck w/a spray-in liner & leave the tailgate down. :lol:

Has anyone tried tacking down asphalt rooring shingles? Seems like that would work good. In Alaska we always used them on board walks and ramps for traction. They hold up good for years.

Rod

Has anyone tried the RUMBER floor that is in the bottom of some chutes. It is made from recycled tires I think and is the same size as dimensional lumber

ollie":1swttty6 said:
Has anyone tried the RUMBER floor that is in the bottom of some chutes. It is made from recycled tires I think and is the same size as dimensional lumber

our trailer has rubber floorboards & they work well. not sure if they're RUMBER or not.....checked out the trailer mfg website but they didn't specify.

I've only seen a couple of the do-it-yourself type of paint on/spray on liners. I wouldn't want them in a truck box because you can't slide anything out, the stuff almost seems grabby. I may have to talk to the local joint that sells the stuff and maybe get a sample to try, can't hurt.

dun

txag":soszyld9 said:
dun":soszyld9 said:

dun

i don't know about all types of the spray-on liners, but the ones i do know of are very slick. a joke about them is don't put your dog in the back of a truck w/a spray-in liner & leave the tailgate down. :lol:

Latest posts