Stock... Sell or hold?

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller":2628v9i1 said:
millstreaminn":2628v9i1 said:
Craig Miller":2628v9i1 said:
If I wanted to get into some stock how would I go about doing that

I use Scottrade. $7.00 per trade and they are currently running a promotion if you deposit $10,000, they will give you 50 free trades. If you deposit more than that, they give free trades and a nice cash bonus. Most all online companies do a similar sort of promotion, though.
What do they give you if you deposit $100

A $100.00 credit. ;-)

millstreaminn":6rkyh2kr said:
TexasBred":6rkyh2kr said:
millstreaminn":6rkyh2kr said:
I've got one stock in particular that I wished I didn't have. RIG (Transocean) I'm in for a bunch of shares at $18.73. Current value runs just north and south of $10.00. I'm thinking about selling most of it and buying something else. Facebook, Amazon, Citibank, pretty much anything else.

Looks like oil is gonna be stuck in the $40-$60 dollar range for awhile. I could see Facebook or Amazon doubling in price before Rig. Any ideas? Thanks-
Sit on it.

Been sitting on it since 12/18/2014. :yuck:
That's really not that long to hold a stock. Be patient unless you need the money. Sell and you'll get 50 cents on the dollar back. Gonna be hard to make that up on any reinvestment.

greybeard":34al1zso said:
Depends--do you have enough other income to make use of a tax loss sale?

It would be hard for me to sell any equity at a nearly 50% loss on buy in value. RIG is still making a profit (reported $249 Million profit 1st qtr 2016) but how much of that is a result of cost cutting measures is unknown. They still have a backlog of work yet to do, mostly for Shell and Chevron, but both those companies are cutting back exploration.

The only way I see to "make $" in this case would be to sell at current price, hold the proceeds and hope it drops to half or more current value and buy back in, assuming a rebound begins thereafter, but I just don't see RIG dropping to $2-3/share.

As far as buying another stock, some of the ones I have seen mentioned in other posts are at or near all time highs.Wrong time to buy IMO.

Thanks for the reply, Graybeard. I can see the value in a tax loss sale, although I'd hate to sell and wait for the stock to drop by another 50%. Of course as soon as I sell, the stock will go way up... I'm thinking Rig is nearly at the bottom of it's range, so the downside on it is small. Just looking for a way to make some money on my money, be it with Rig or someone else.

I still buy a little Facebook and Amazon at least monthly. Been doing so for the last 5 years. They haven't hurt me any.

JMJ Farms":1b1lcnfx said:
I'd sit on it a little longer.

I agree, even with my old GM experience. I have never sold a stock by my own choice except once when I got in a tight financial bind I did cash in some index mutual fund stock. Otherwise I've just kept on buying as I was able when it seemed appropriate.

Getting robbed by a hooker, is a crime that often goes unreported.

Some may say that statement has nothing to do with stocks, I beg to differ.

Caustic Burno":5mz9z1ld said:
Went heavy in Washington Mutual America Fund has performed well.
For oil I picked Marathon .

I never looked at Marathon. I did buy a little Chevron, Exxon, Hess and Chesapeake about 6 moths ago.

millstreaminn":xlzuwhxk said:
I've got one stock in particular that I wished I didn't have. RIG (Transocean) I'm in for a bunch of shares at $18.73. Current value runs just north and south of $10.00. I'm thinking about selling most of it and buying something else. Facebook, Amazon, Citibank, pretty much anything else.

Looks like oil is gonna be stuck in the $40-$60 dollar range for awhile. I could see Facebook or Amazon doubling in price before Rig. Any ideas? Thanks-
Don't buy anything else until you do some studying and at least learn how to set a stop loss to keep from getting slaughtered when things go against you.

Marathon is good--I like Enterprise Products Partners L.P (stock symbol EPD) as well. I've bought and held XOM since I was a teenager (even before it was called Exxon).

A personal thing, but I wouldn't touch Chesapeake even if it is $4.30/share. There's a reason it dropped from near $30, and it's not just the drop in crude oil price. They got some really serious debt caused by past mis-management. If I did have it tho, I'd Hold it.

Ryder":2zikcau3 said:
millstreaminn":2zikcau3 said:

Don't buy anything else until you do some studying and at least learn how to set a stop loss to keep from getting slaughtered when things go against you.

Thanks for the comment. I started buying stock back in 2009 when you couldn't pick a loser. My portfolio has done well, it's just that I'm getting killed on oil stocks this year. :bang:

greybeard":bjk1c9d9 said:
Marathon is good--I like Enterprise Products Partners L.P (stock symbol EPD) as well. I've bought and held XOM since I was a teenager (even before it was called Exxon).

A personal thing, but I wouldn't touch Chesapeake even if it is $4.30/share. There's a reason it dropped from near $30, and it's not just the drop in crude oil price. They got some really serious debt caused by past mis-management. If I did have it tho, I'd Hold it.

I lucked out with CHK. I bought it on 2-26-2016. $2.20 a share.

millstreaminn":1dnstzjm said:
Caustic Burno":1dnstzjm said:
Went heavy in Washington Mutual America Fund has performed well.
For oil I picked Marathon .

I never looked at Marathon. I did buy a little Chevron, Exxon, Hess and Chesapeake about 6 moths ago.
IMOO they are moving to capatlize when oil prices come up.
They are expanding and their price is very attractive at 38 bucks.
Again IMOO this is three to five years out.
MPC is there symbol have to do your own research the decision you make today you have to sleep with.

Latest posts