Stock piling Bahia

Help Support CattleToday:

KenB

Reaction score
I know fesque is the best grass to stock pile, but how good would Bahia or common bermuda be to stock pile?

KenB":3r8fnsrb said:
I know fesque is the best grass to stock pile, but how good would Bahia or common bermuda be to stock pile?
Since Bahia and common Bermuda goes dormant after first frost. stockpiling is not an option. Bahia even fresh like Tift 9 is pathetic grazing after July 1 with very high lignin and very low CP. Dormant bahia and bermuda has CP equivalent to wheat straw with a TDN of 45% on a good day so your feed quality here would be:
0.03 x 0.45 = 0.014, so if a 1200 lb cow needs 2.25 lbs TP at fall calving and ate 2.5 % of body weight she would be getting = 30 lbs x 0.014 (feed value of bahia/bermuda) which is 0.42 lbs TP looks like you may be a tad short Plant some rye for grazing
Ed

edrsimms":eeplain2 said:
KenB":eeplain2 said:
Since Bahia and common Bermuda goes dormant after first frost. stockpiling is not an option. Bahia even fresh like Tift 9 is pathetic grazing after July 1 with very high lignin and very low CP. Dormant bahia and bermuda has CP equivalent to wheat straw with a TDN of 45% on a good day so your feed quality here would be:
0.03 x 0.45 = 0.014, so if a 1200 lb cow needs 2.25 lbs TP at fall calving and ate 2.5 % of body weight she would be getting = 30 lbs x 0.014 (feed value of bahia/bermuda) which is 0.42 lbs TP looks like you may be a tad short Plant some rye for grazing
Ed
Need to shhare some information with you:
http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/SCS%202006% ... agrass.pdf

Bermuda and bahia can be sucessfully stockpiled. Those of us in the south that have this type of grass just have to learn that there are ways to keep quality up by keeping grass young and vegetative. MIG works well for spring and summer. Fertilize in the early fall with nitrogen and defer grazing until after frost works.

BC":3c7tesxv said:
edrsimms":3c7tesxv said:
KenB":3c7tesxv said:
Ed
Need to shhare some information with you:
http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/SCS%202006% ... agrass.pdf

Bermuda and bahia can be sucessfully stockpiled. Those of us in the south that have this type of grass just have to learn that there are ways to keep quality up by keeping grass young and vegetative. MIG works well for spring and summer. Fertilize in the early fall with nitrogen and defer grazing until after frost works.

BC thanks for the link, good information.

BC":1z1g9b94 said:
edrsimms":1z1g9b94 said:
KenB":1z1g9b94 said:
Since Bahia and common Bermuda goes dormant after first frost. stockpiling is not an option. Bahia even fresh like Tift 9 is pathetic grazing after July 1 with very high lignin and very low CP. Dormant bahia and bermuda has CP equivalent to wheat straw with a TDN of 45% on a good day.

" This protocol is designed to provide stockpiled bermudagrass that will provide 8-14% crude protein and >50% TDN..... you must not get a frost until January lol.

No rank bahia or bermuda <50% TDN will meet nutritional requirements for even dry cows

Red Bull Breeder":tunqd63v said:
Might need some better cows ed. Them hard keeping protein addicted cattle might need a little something else.

ed's class hasn't gotten past crude protein yet RBB...that will be latter in the semester. :idea:

ed....forget protein...think energy son.

Red Bull Breeder":16qvgxo0 said:
Might need some better cows ed. Them hard keeping protein addicted cattle might need a little something else.

I agree on better cows cause all mine get are stockpiled bahia and bermuda along with sorry Bahia hay.

As a good friend of mine once put it If my cows can't stay fat and produce on my grass and hay I am changing the cow not the grass.

Caustic Burno":1qb4b0i5 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1qb4b0i5 said:

I agree on better cows cause all mine get are stockpiled bahia and bermuda along with sorry Bahia hay.

As a good friend of mine once put it If my cows can't stay fat and produce on my grass and hay I am changing the cow not the grass.
Caustic, how does your Bahia/common Bermuda stockpiling system work? Do you supplement with range cubes or molasses blocks? How long does it usually last?

I supplement some range meal from the time night time temp's get below 60 till all the pasture's are cleaned up.
This usually reduce's my hay consumption from 4 bales a winter to 3. Another advantage is the bahia comes back earlier in the spring as it doesn't have to fight through the winter mat.

Caustic Burno":j6rj37l7 said:
I supplement some range meal from the time night time temp's get below 60 till all the pasture's are cleaned up.
This usually reduce's my hay consumption from 4 bales a winter to 3. Another advantage is the bahia comes back earlier in the spring as it doesn't have to fight through the winter mat.
What is range meal,is that anything like range cubes? Would feeding about 3 pounds of 20% range cubes per momma cow be a close substitute for range meal?

Post Oak":2c72r46z said:
Caustic Burno":2c72r46z said:
What is range meal,is that anything like range cubes? Would feeding about 3 pounds of 20% range cubes per momma cow be a close substitute for range meal?
Similar but different. It's loose, and anywhere from 15% protein up to 25%. Got grain products, ground roughage, a little molasses and about 25% salt as well as whatever trace elements your supplier adds with it. Looks like it has some csm in it too. I feed a little right now instead of cubes just to keep em coming in to the pen area. They'll only eat about 1 lb per day right now, but If I decide to feed it this winter, they'll increase that consumption up to 2 1/2--maybe 3 lbs per day. Most range meal has a lot of salt-it's a limiter. 2:1 or 3:1 salt to feed ratio. You'll need a bulk or bunk feeder of some kind--probably build one yourself.
I think CB has a picture of his posted somewhere--maybe in his cowpen thread in "beginners".
You can probably find someone to mix it to your liking close by, but I would have to go several counties over in either direction.

I haven't fed enough meal to really know, but from what I see today here, I don't think 3lbs of 20% cubes will beat the meal in winter.

Post Oak":12f7gl6k said:
Caustic Burno":12f7gl6k said:

Our feed store has a feed mill.
2-1-1 is what I normally supplement with here in the winter it is 2 part's ground corn 1 part cotton seed meal 1 part salt
six gallon's of molasses and idone for foot rot. I buy by the ton in super sack's .
They will make any blend of range meal we want minimum a ton order in sack's or super sack's.
Another blend I have made up is 1-1-1 one part corn 1 csm 1 salt.

If you can find range cubes that are milled at a cotton mill, you might get a better deal. I have bought cubes at Southern Oil and Cotton in Richmond for years . Bought both the cubes and meal and the CP on those was 34% . Would take the meal and mix it wth salt, made a pretty good cheap feed

If you can find range cubes that are milled at a cotton mill, you might get a better deal. I have bought cubes at Southern Oil and Cotton in Richmond for years . Bought both the cubes and meal and the CP on those was 34% . Would take the meal and mix it wth salt, made a pretty good cheap feed

Latest posts