Stock Market

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":2vmj2vo6 said:
Any thing you own gold land or whatever has to be converted to dollars to be able to recoup the value of your investment. Ever hear the saying "he is land poor" This applies to any and everything. There was a man in our area that raised chickens during the depression and did very well. I was told by him that he could sell a hen for $2 when a cow was going for $5. The problem back then was the fact about all a cow was good for was milk. There was no electricity and refrigeration was not as readily available as it is now. Any thing you owned has to be easily converted to cash or you may be saddled with it for a while. I know that the stock market has ups and downs but I can get on line and sell what I need to sell. I do not have to hook up a trailer and haul it the sale. Pretty easy everyone should strive to create mail box money. I use Vanguard for all of my investments. I can transfer money from bank to Vanguard and from Vanguard to the bank in a very short time frame by using the computer.
True...trading is quick and easy, however, the price may not be that attractive at the time you need the money. Use to buy and sell a lot of treasuries. Would be in and out a half dozen times in a day and never have to spend a penny.

TexasBred":1h13l1j4 said:
hurleyjd":1h13l1j4 said:
Any thing you own gold land or whatever has to be converted to dollars to be able to recoup the value of your investment. Ever hear the saying "he is land poor" This applies to any and everything. There was a man in our area that raised chickens during the depression and did very well. I was told by him that he could sell a hen for $2 when a cow was going for $5. The problem back then was the fact about all a cow was good for was milk. There was no electricity and refrigeration was not as readily available as it is now. Any thing you owned has to be easily converted to cash or you may be saddled with it for a while. I know that the stock market has ups and downs but I can get on line and sell what I need to sell. I do not have to hook up a trailer and haul it the sale. Pretty easy everyone should strive to create mail box money. I use Vanguard for all of my investments. I can transfer money from bank to Vanguard and from Vanguard to the bank in a very short time frame by using the computer.
True...trading is quick and easy, however, the price may not be that attractive at the time you need the money. Use to buy and sell a lot of treasuries. Would be in and out a half dozen times in a day and never have to spend a penny.
Try to get in a position that you have a cushion of money to fall back on. I do not bet the farm and everything on any one investment.

hurleyjd":3i2ciszl said:
TexasBred":3i2ciszl said:
hurleyjd":3i2ciszl said:
Try to get in a position that you have a cushion of money to fall back on. I do not bet the farm and everything on any one investment.
"Cushion" has never been a problem. I was buying and selling as much as 15-20 million a day. As I said, I never had to pay a penny. Just deposit my profits at the end of the day.

While interest rates are at all time low (almost invisible) one might just as well keep their CASH in a mayonaise jar close by. Stock markets, "investments", mutual funds, etc., are all very volatile options and the brokers ALWAYS get their commission regardless of whether you win or lose.

Gold and silver "might" be a viable hedge. However, to buy any one has to pay inflated prices (e.g., coins) at much higher than the intrinsic value of the gold or silver they contain. One would never recoup what you paid for them if you tried to cash them in or spend them (face value only).

I can eat my garden or my cattle. You can't eat gold, silver, jewelry, and other "stuff", however. As long as my wells hold out, I have water. If it ever rains here enough I could collect water to stockpile.

Cash, ammo, food, fuel, water, and animals are all items to barter as needed...if one has them on hand.

Don't get me started on "investment counselors" or similar people to "manage" your money and/or assets...

As long as banks are solvent and the FDIC is viable then they are relatively "safe" depositories...unless of course our "govment" messes with things...keep fingers crossed patriots...

Ryder":m6620blr said:
If everything else loses real value and if paper money becomes worth less and less and if gold retains its value then gold is a pretty doggone good deal. Gold is real money.

The price of gold cycles up and down. So does every thing else. But everything doesn't cycle up or down and the same time and not at the same rate. Call up a long term chart of gold and you will see what I am talking about. When gold is on an up cycle it can outpace everything else (within reason).
Therefore it's relative value certainly does increase.

One of the problems we have today (and in the future) is, as someone pointed out, paper money today is counterfeit money because it is not backed by anything of value. It has been this way ever since we went off the gold standard and the powers that be discovered what they could do with some paper and the printing press.

Gold is real money.
And that is my say on the matter.

Well, anything can be "real" money (currency). It depends on the willingness of people to agree that they will treat something as currency, and to settle on a value. (Bitcoin, anyone? Or cigarettes in prison?)
I'm far from an expert on precious metals and the like, but I think I would hoard rare earth minerals or something that's in short supply and necessary to modern electronics. See: http://www.cnet.com/news/digging-for-ra ... -are-born/

Someone (forget who; an economist?) said awhile back that the ultimate thing to "invest" in (hoard) is SPAM. :yuck: If the SHTF, that's what you want. Spam. (Probably true, but shoot me now).

Boondocks you think a fellow would be better of to diversify and put a little of his cash into Vienna Sausage, cheese and Saltine crackers?? :lol: OH....and sardines.

Hook":cigwq7kv said:
If the shtf, I'd rather have a knowledge of food preservation and curing before id want to hoard a bunch of spam.
Hook that old spam has enough preservative in it that if you eat enough you won't even have to be embalmed when you pass.

TexasBred":s43u80l9 said:
Boondocks you think a fellow would be better of to diversify and put a little of his cash into Vienna Sausage, cheese and Saltine crackers?? :lol: OH....and sardines.
Now you're talking..

A Correction appears to be underway.
Yesterday, (Thursday, Oct 9), the DJI lost 334 points.
Today, it ended 115 pts lower.

For the week:

The Dow is down 465.59 points, or 2.7 percent.

The S&P 500 is down 61.77 points, or 3.1 percent.

The Nasdaq is down 199.39 points, or 4.5 percent.

For the year:

The Dow is down 32.56 points, or 0.2 percent.

The S&P 500 index is up 57.77 points, or 3.1 percent.

The Nasdaq is up 99.65 points, or 2.4 percent.

greybeard":3owzns79 said:
A Correction appears to be underway.
Yesterday, (Thursday, Oct 9), the DJI lost 334 points.
Today, it ended 115 pts lower.

For the week:

The Dow is down 465.59 points, or 2.7 percent.

The S&P 500 is down 61.77 points, or 3.1 percent.

The Nasdaq is down 199.39 points, or 4.5 percent.

For the year:

The Dow is down 32.56 points, or 0.2 percent.

The S&P 500 index is up 57.77 points, or 3.1 percent.

The Nasdaq is up 99.65 points, or 2.4 percent.

I am convinced the correction will come when the Fed starts raising interest rates. I think what we are seeing now is a very nervous market. Lastly, who the heck knows??!!

That rise in interest rates may be a long time coming--the fed said today, they may not raise rates very much or very quickly if the global economy keeps trending downward despite what the US economy does.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-1 ... s-pac.html

Today--more downward trend led by tech stocks:

The slide in semiconductor stocks dragged down the tech-heavy Nasdaq composite index, keeping it in the red all day.
The other indexes flirted with small gains throughout the day, but the course didn't hold. They ended lower for the fourth time in five days.
All told, the Dow Jones industrial average lost 115.15, or 0.7 percent, to 16,554.10. The Standard & Poor's 500 index shed 22.08, or 1.2 percent, to 1,906.13.
The Nasdaq slid 102.10 points, or 2.3 percent, to 4,276.24.
All three indexes ended lower for the week. For the S&P 500, this was the worst weekly decline since May 18, 2012, when it fell 4.3 percent.

I think it have peaked being we got us a Czar and all.

CLX.png

Warren Buffett lost $1billion Monday and another $1billion today--Coca-Cola (400 million shares) and IBM (70 million shares) are 2 of his biggest holdings and both tanked the last 2 days.
A "bad week" and it's only Tuesday........

But he didn't sell so he lost nothing.....BTW Berkshire Hathaway was up $8,000 a share those two days so a bit of offset there.