Stock Market

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
My stock portfolio has taken quite a beating since the beginning of 2018. How has everyone else portfolio fared. Any good reason for the drop.

M-5":1q06f9pi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1q06f9pi said:
M-5":1q06f9pi said:
I think your window is too narrow . Look at the return from Jan 17 to today to give your self a better picture of how well or economy is doing. Mine 15.7% over that time

That's great, assuming you got in on Jan.17th.

Gotcha, gonna be a bloodbath over this idiotic steel tariff. Gonna get ugly.

TennesseeTuxedo":38wdzqoi said:
M-5":38wdzqoi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":38wdzqoi said:
That's great, assuming you got in on Jan.17th.

Its gonna be uncomfortable for a while but I see it benefiting in the long run .

All my metal suppliers rescinded all quotes this week . I got a job to order today that increased 5k in cost overnight. Add in the stupid ELD that has been mandated and it adds to the misery .

M-5":289qs1id said:
TennesseeTuxedo":289qs1id said:
M-5":289qs1id said:

Its gonna be uncomfortable for a while but I see it benefiting in the long run .

All my metal suppliers rescinded all quotes this week . I got a job to order today that increased 5k in cost overnight. Add in the stupid ELD that has been mandated and it adds to the misery .

ELD??

How are they justifying raising the price on existing stock? Everything hurts some and helps others . In the long run the tarrif will benefit US workers . China taxes the heck out of goods we send it's time to return the favor. My return on my 401k was 25% last year. It has corrected some . But some of that was due to the fed saying they were raising rates.

hurleyjd":12omvg3i said:
M-5":12omvg3i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":12omvg3i said:

ELD??

Electronic logging devices that was mandated in 2015 . It took effect this year and has rocked the trucking industry . If anyone doesn't know the freight industry has more effect on retail prices than anything else. The previous administration screwed us royally on this one and we were hoping this admin would recend but that has not happened yet. A lot of freight is being delayed due to the shortage of carriers therefore prices are skyrocketing because of demand. If you want material you have to pay on avg 300 to 500 more a truck load and that cost gets passed on to the customer.

M-5":1we3gw1y said:
hurleyjd":1we3gw1y said:
M-5":1we3gw1y said:

ELD??

Electronic logging devices that was mandated in 2015 . It took effect this year and has rocked the trucking industry . If anyone doesn't know the freight industry has more effect on retail prices than anything else. The previous administration screwed us royally on this one and we were hoping this admin would recend but that has not happened yet. A lot of freight is being delayed due to the shortage of carriers therefore prices are skyrocketing because of demand. If you want material you have to pay on avg 300 to 500 more a truck load and that cost gets passed on to the customer.

Basically just making truckers follow the rules that were already there.

Craig Miller":pacobmm7 said:
M-5":pacobmm7 said:
hurleyjd":pacobmm7 said:

very true but the cost of implementation is forcing a lot of independents out and into early retirement it hits all aspects of the country

hurleyjd":iyl8u9rj said:
My stock portfolio has taken quite a beating since the beginning of 2018. How has everyone else portfolio fared. Any good reason for the drop.

Oh my....the beating it's taken since March 2009.... doesn't mean Im not concerned or like it. Mostly waiting for the word on the hedge fund(s) in trouble.

it's still above February's low....not that that's going to hold today as the computers are in control.

M-5":znqbfmuw said:
Craig Miller":znqbfmuw said:
M-5":znqbfmuw said:

very true but the cost of implementation is forcing a lot of independents out and into early retirement it hits all aspects of the country

Yes and nobody will be untouched by it. I've noticed the increased trucks on the road. When I'm travelling late at nigh I used to see the truck traffic all but stop after about 9 pm. Now it's still tons of trucks all hours of the night. I think there's people on the road way more tired than the truckers. Traveling after they are way too tired. Several of my guys travel 8 or 9 hours from work. They will work a 12 hour shift at the rig and then drive straight home from there. I've seen them work 16 hours then leave out going home.
I feel bad for the amount of hours they are just parked and can't move. I feel like they could drive 16 hour a day and still be plenty rested up. Maybe even 18.

Craig Miller":v75464ft said:
M-5":v75464ft said:
Craig Miller":v75464ft said:

Yes and nobody will be untouched by it. I've noticed the increased trucks on the road. When I'm travelling late at nigh I used to see the truck traffic all but stop after about 9 pm. Now it's still tons of trucks all hours of the night. I think there's people on the road way more tired than the truckers. Traveling after they are way too tired. Several of my guys travel 8 or 9 hours from work. They will work a 12 hour shift at the rig and then drive straight home from there. I've seen them work 16 hours then leave out going home.

what has changed is a trucker could be 30min or 1hr behind and finish the run sleep all night and begin the next morning again . now they have to stop and take mandatory rest then they start back as soon as they are able so its actually spreading out the service hours more. Our business does not travel over a 100 air miles in normal business day but we had to comply with the devices

JSCATTLE":gupbogck said:
How are they justifying raising the price on existing stock? Everything hurts some and helps others . In the long run the tarrif will benefit US workers . China taxes the heck out of goods we send it's time to return the favor. My return on my 401k was 25% last year. It has corrected some . But some of that was due to the fed saying they were raising rates.

Most in the steel (or any) business, work on a 30 day or less turnaround on stock. It may look like a lot of stock, but it's moving quickly. Raw material suppliers can and will change the price to fit the market while in transit. Part of my business is based on how many tons of steel I can sell, and if I meet the goals, then we get to build a new wire factory right here in the middle of the USA. This tax is going to put quite a damper on those goals and plans. We just might land on our feet here, since we have good trade agreements with the UK......But we could also be selling the farm to meet our obligations if this goes badly. This really hits home for us, since every aspect of what we do to earn money will be affected.

M-5":1gyv11e8 said:
Craig Miller":1gyv11e8 said:
M-5":1gyv11e8 said:

what has changed is a trucker could be 30min or 1hr behind and finish the run sleep all night and begin the next morning again . now they have to stop and take mandatory rest then they start back as soon as they are able so its actually spreading out the service hours more. Our business does not travel over a 100 air miles in normal business day but we had to comply with the devices

So you're saying local delivery is seeing the big difference because of it? Makes sense. I know one of my dad's drivers went for a delivery and when he got there the place was taking their lunch so he sat there and waited. Then he got loaded. Then it said it was time for his lunch so he said there and waited another hour. Maybe a learning curve there. Also one of then got a speeding ticket mailed to him for going 60 in a 55. The GPS said the limit was 45 so he was ticketed. This is on a road that's over 100 miles long and the GPS post it wrong for the whole road.

JSCATTLE":1186dee4 said:

Prices are set by replacement cost . What you paid for current does should not have any bearing on it. Its a two way street though when supplies become cheaper there is always a competitor that bought perfect and his new cost and sell price is lower therefore you have to reduce your sell price and sometimes you loose money for a period of time . The law of averages comes into play and over time it balances the high and lows to acceptable margins

Craig Miller":2scact1u said:
M-5":2scact1u said:
Craig Miller":2scact1u said:

So you're saying local delivery is seeing the big difference because of it? Makes sense. I know one of my dad's drivers went for a delivery and when he got there the place was taking their lunch so he sat there and waited. Then he got loaded. Then it said it was time for his lunch so he said there and waited another hour. Maybe a learning curve there. Also one of then got a speeding ticket mailed to him for going 60 in a 55. The GPS said the limit was 45 so he was ticketed. This is on a road that's over 100 miles long and the GPS post it wrong for the whole road.

local and longhaul are all feeling the pinch. While we have gps and I get notifications of speeding because the map speed limits are incorrect I have not heard of speeding tickets being issued via GPS.

One supplier I buy from is 30days out on delivering material to me and I am having to find my on trucking at the moment its costing me 1200 a truck load for 4 hr haul

Latest posts