Stock Market

Help Support CattleToday:

jehosofat":c57mjv08 said:
True Grit Farms":c57mjv08 said:
jehosofat":c57mjv08 said:
I believe in taking my money and buying something I know about, and can control, then sell it and stash the profit somewhere safe. Repeat, and repeat.
Is this an antiquated strategy these days?

Yes it is till the bottom falls out of the market. I got my clock cleaned in 08, and that lesson has cost me a lot on paper so far.

I ain't talking about the stock market, I mean tangible stuff that I can put my hands on.

I know exactly what you were talking about, I have done the same. But there was a lot of money to be made in the market the last 6 - 7 years, just not by me.

True Grit Farms":mh6q12nz said:
jehosofat":mh6q12nz said:
True Grit Farms":mh6q12nz said:
Yes it is till the bottom falls out of the market. I got my clock cleaned in 08, and that lesson has cost me a lot on paper so far.

I ain't talking about the stock market, I mean tangible stuff that I can put my hands on.

I know exactly what you were talking about, I have done the same. But there was a lot of money to be made in the market the last 6 - 7 years, just not by me.

Its hard to compete with compound interest, the tax benefits, and possible matches of retirement accounts in the stock market.

Caustic Burno":3awh0jtr said:
I have made more in long term bonds than anything else. Have averaged 6% through the ups and downs.

Stock market has usually beat bonds over the long haul, but the last 35 years has been a bond market for the ages. Interest rates going from high teens to low single digits... Future results may vary.

For those you like tangibles - - collecting fine wines has had a very good return. I thought about doing this, but I am concerned someone may drink up the profit.

Stocker Steve":txuz5xl4 said:
Caustic Burno":txuz5xl4 said:
I have made more in long term bonds than anything else. Have averaged 6% through the ups and downs.

Stock market has usually beat bonds over the long haul, but the last 35 years has been a bond market for the ages. Interest rates going from high teens to low single digits... Future results may vary.

For those you like tangibles - - collecting fine wines has had a very good return. I thought about doing this, but I am concerned someone may drink up the profit.

Bought a case of Mogen David Concord Grape back in '68. Been holding it and watching....been doing pretty good lately. Price is up to almost $3.00 a bottle now. Gonna just keep sitting on it. :lol2: :lol2:

True Grit Farms":29a9dqgu said:
jehosofat":29a9dqgu said:
I believe in taking my money and buying something I know about, and can control, then sell it and stash the profit somewhere safe. Repeat, and repeat.
Is this an antiquated strategy these days?

Yes it is till the bottom falls out of the market. I got my clock cleaned in 08, and that lesson has cost me a lot ...

Fixed for accuracy.

I dont see how it can go much higher. Unemployment is about as low as it can go and I dont see any more tax cuts or major legislation that can send it any higher. We might get some bumps with Iran of an oil jump but its not going to be any thing major.

Brute 23":1hdjdc2c said:
I dont see how it can go much higher. Unemployment is about as low as it can go and I dont see any more tax cuts or major legislation that can send it any higher. We might get some bumps with Iran of an oil jump but its not going to be any thing major.

Investor confidence is back. Expanding economies yield dividends. Profit shares. Are you going to put money in a 2% yielding CD ? Stock does not have to go higher to reap dividends. Profits are good.

Brute 23":35htojv8 said:
Market ceiling? It's rarely a case of 'anything' pushing it higher, but almost always a case of some dynamics that drive it lower or stagnate the market.

All things being equal, people will invest rather than just sit on cash, because they want their cash to grow not just sit in a bank acct drawing very little each qtr..

backhoeboogie":2j5th16w said:
Brute 23":2j5th16w said:

Investor confidence is back. Expanding economies yield dividends. Profit shares. Are you going to put money in a 2% yielding CD ? Stock does not have to go higher to reap dividends. Profits are good.

I think its like short term bonds.

Im a firm believer in keeping it simple and investing long term. At the same time it doesn't make sense to keep buying in when its this high.

Brute 23":1yofi996 said:
backhoeboogie":1yofi996 said:
Brute 23":1yofi996 said:

Im a firm believer in keeping it simple and investing long term. At the same time it doesn't make sense to keep buying in when its this high.

None of us should have our entire portfolio wrapped up. Did you see what happened yesterday ?

Brute 23":31edi7d2 said:
backhoeboogie":31edi7d2 said:
Brute 23":31edi7d2 said:

Wise man. The last of my retirement investments has been moved to interest generating instruments. At my age and at these risky levels, I have been moving away from risk for 10 years.

I know we have heard this before but as you say, at these levels, it seems crazy to keep buying.

Bright Raven":3rullmld said:
Brute 23":3rullmld said:
backhoeboogie":3rullmld said:

Wise man. The last of my retirement investments has been moved to interest generating instruments. At my age and at these risky levels, I have been moving away from risk for 10 years.

I know we have heard this before but as you say, at these levels, it seems crazy to keep buying.

If I was retirement age I would for sure be getting out right now.

backhoeboogie":2ckuy5vq said:
Brute 23":2ckuy5vq said:
backhoeboogie":2ckuy5vq said:

None of us should have our entire portfolio wrapped up. Did you see what happened yesterday ?

No I didn't. I'm in W TX and barely know what day it is.

I hold quite a few different stocks. These 7 make up 75% of my total investment listed from the most invested to the least: Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, Face Book, Google, Bank of America and United Health. My portfolio is up 13.14% this year. I buy a set amount of Amazon, Boeing and Microsoft every week- regardless if their up or down. I might just be lucky but its hard to bet against the winners.

millstreaminn":29afkqw4 said:
I hold quite a few different stocks. These 7 make up 75% of my total investment listed from the most invested to the least: Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, Face Book, Google, Bank of America and United Health. My portfolio is up 13.14% this year. I buy a set amount of Amazon, Boeing and Microsoft every week- regardless if their up or down. I might just be lucky but its hard to bet against the winners.

What's the benefit of doing that over just buying the S&P500?

I lost my shirt twice in the stock market. Both times it took years to get back to even. There has to be better places to put hard earned money than letting the shiny shoes boys play with it.

Dave":2rrqtzko said:
I lost my shirt twice in the stock market. Both times it took years to get back to even. There has to be better places to put hard earned money than letting the shiny shoes boys play with it.

I've been lucky. I dumped just before the last crash, based on elections. I could dump again in October 2020 or 2024

As far as "better places", land has earned me more money than anything else, so I have to agree with you there.

Brute 23":205bier0 said:
millstreaminn":205bier0 said:

What's the benefit of doing that over just buying the S&P500?

I occasionally day trade some of those that I listed.