Stock cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I went to the stock cow sale in Toppenish yesterday. Prices were higher than a year ago. I would guess that they probably had over 2,000 bred heifers and cows. Bred heifers were $1,600 to $1,800. There was one group of 100 heifers. They would gate cut 10 or more. If I remember correctly the high bid was either $1,825 or $1,850. The auctioneer asked the guy how many he wanted. The buyer let out a very audible sigh, that I could hear half way accross the ring, and said he would take 40. That is pretty good check to write. But there were plenty of big checks written by the end of that sale.

Stocker Steve":3nsrdtfw said:
Must be really nice heifers.
What were young cows going for?

Young cows were in the $1,600-1,500 range all day.

The heifers were AI bred and ultra sound checked for due date and sex of the calf.

The average for the day had to be $1,300 or better. I only saw a hand full of broke mouth cows that sold for under $1,000.

Dave":il3zp29w said:
Stocker Steve":il3zp29w said:
Must be really nice heifers.
What were young cows going for?

Young cows were in the $1,600-1,500 range all day.
The heifers were AI bred and ultra sound checked for due date and sex of the calf.
The average for the day had to be $1,300 or better. I only saw a hand full of broke mouth cows that sold for under $1,000.

My cull rate on heifers is too high to support that purchase price. May have to sell a few...
I sold 2 cull cows last week and they average over $900, so I don't expect you can get a lot for $1,000.

Bought two loads of fancy first calf heifer angus pairs, $1,800. Central California. Next rung down quality wise was more like 1600-1650.

Latest posts