Stirring it up

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
I want to upgrade trucks. Want to go to four wheel drive four door half ton. Buying used preferably less than sixty thousand miles. Have had good service out of GM in the past. What's the good bad and ugly comparing GM Ford Dodge Toyota Nissan? What's y'all's experiences?

My vote will always be Ford and their 3.5 eco boost has really impressed me. I think any of the big 3 are pretty comparable right now in quality and features. Back seat in a GM seemed really cramped to me. Toyota's are gas hogs but good trucks the couple of people I know with Nissans have had horrible luck with them mechanically.

I know availability is becoming a big issue now on new stuff so not sure what the used market is like right now. May not be the best time but may also be necessary for you.

I've owned a couple of Dodges, 1 Ford and several GMs, I prefer the GM. GM hold their value good, usually get good fuel mileage in a half ton and last a long time if you take care of them. I have an 02 Chevy half ton 4x4 with 230,000 miles and I'd go anywhere in it, it gets around 17mpg. I just got my wife a 2016 Chevy crew cab 4x4 half ton LTZ with 47,000 miles, it gets 19 mpg. She had an 06 Tahoe before that and we gave it to our son when she got the newer truck, it has almost 250,000 miles on it and runs great. The tahoe had transmission work at about 160,000 but other than normal repairs no problems, my truck with 230,000 has original transmission with no repairs and it's going to have to have a rebuild soon because the torque converter is shuttering, has been for 2 years but is gradually getting worse especially when I have a loaded trailer on it.

I agree that any of the big three would probably be ok, though I prefer Chevrolet. Have a 2006 1500 Chevrolet that is still going good. We still have it but upgraded a couple years ago to a Chevrolet 2500 pickup.

I heard the other day that used vehicles went up about 17% in one month over the summer, partly due to shortage of new vehicles and also more people having to drive instead of taking mass transportation or carpooling during covid. I talked to a car dealer I know and he basically said the same thing, he said he's having to pay alot more for vehicles at the auction now and that alot of local dealers can't get the number of the popular vehicles they're ordering due to factories not having enough staff to meet production quotas.

As Brute said, they all have their issues, it's not as cut and dry as it used to be. Alot of that is they're trying to put too much crap on them to make them a luxury vehicle and also meet the government standards. The 2016 I bought my wife I bought through an auction wrecked, didn't really seem like much damage for the price I got it but the parts are high. The headlights alone costs $2400 for the set because they are a completely sealed LED that are only on the LTZ 2016-2019. I came out about $10,000 cheaper buying it wrecked and rebuilding myself than buying on a lot but it has a rebuilt title which don't matter to me because we drive them til they're are wore out anyway.

We have been searching for a 6cyl 4x4 grand/cherokee for my wife. She has been without a car since the tornados in March. Her car was totaled and my truck was not touched...... yes, hers was the nice car. Looking in the $20k range and hard pressed to find one under 70k miles. We have watched the price go over $25k during the summer in our area. It is now finally back within our price range. With any luck we should have one by xmas. Until we find what she is looking for..... The search continues.

Love those old magazine ads. Have kept a few myself!

DO NOT BUY A half ton 2007-2015 Chevy or GMC. The active fuel management in the 5.3 vortecs in those years was a major problem. When it switched over to 4 cylinders at highway speed, it ran 4 cylinders dry and burnt rings. Company I worked for had 30 of them and put motors in 23. I have heard that there is a plug in tuner that will deactivate the AFM but I haven't seen it personally. The 6.0's in 2500's are fine. GM changed their oiling system in 16? And the new ones seem to be fine in 4 cylinder mode. The 99-06 1/2 tons were really great trucks IMO

DO NOT BUY A half ton 2007-2015 Chevy or GMC. The active fuel management in the 5.3 vortecs in those years was a major problem. When it switched over to 4 cylinders at highway speed, it ran 4 cylinders dry and burnt rings. Company I worked for had 30 of them and put motors in 23. I have heard that there is a plug in tuner that will deactivate the AFM but I haven't seen it personally. The 6.0's in 2500's are fine. GM changed their oiling system in 16? And the new ones seem to be fine in 4 cylinder mode. The 99-06 1/2 tons were really great trucks IMO
That's why I doubt I will even own a newer 1/2 ton ever again. Between that and front struts I'm done.

Started looking for newer truck about 4-5 months ago and got serious with my search 2 months ago. Decided to stick with GM. I don't haul too much that often, but need enough for my needs when I do. Also need a few bells and whistles for work. Quad cab, 4x4, 6.2l, and leather seats so that really narrows it down. The used market has been nuts and there were numerous vehicles sold just hours after being posted. Set up appointments to drive a few the next day - they sold same day... finally found one and made a good offer - dealer didn't even counter! Said basically same thing as stated above with very high auction prices and low inventory. Ended up paying about $6,000 more than I initially anticipated, but also got a newer truck with 1/2 miles too. Kept my 09 truck with 230,000 miles, but seriously considering selling now.

6.2 is the engine to have in those years. None of that AFM BS.

Latest posts