stinkin beaver...

Help Support CattleToday:

News Article:

[A man in upstate New York has been hospitalized after being viciously attacked by a beaver during a kayaking lesson.

Michael Cavanaugh was learning how to kayak at the Baycreek Paddling Center at Irondequoit Creek last week when he was attacked by an angry beaver.

The vicious varmint pulled Cavanaugh from his kayak and bit him several times, leaving deep punctures in both his arms.

A nearby kayak instructor heard Cavanaugh's screams and paddled out to beat the beaver to death.

Cavanaugh was later hospitalized and treated for rabies.

State wildlife officials say beaver attacks like this are rare. When they do occur, it's generally over a territorial dispute, but sometimes it's due to rabies.

The beaver's carcass was later found downstream.]

Bank burrowing beavers here. They don't even bother trying to build a dam.
B@st@rds keep cutting down 20 yr old pecans... just now coming into bearing. They couldn't be satisfied with eating the crappy boxelders..., no... they've gotta cut my pecans!
Gotta finish caging the ones I topworked to improved pecan & hickory varieties before they cut them...

may as well start buying the 3 Cs.
conibears
castor
cable

If they have a body of water that has a pretty stable level they usually won't build a dam...no need for a dam ..unless they hear water trickling. They can't stand it and will plug it up because, well...because they're buttholes... only reason mine build a lodge is to increase the height of their 'living quarters' above the high water mark so they can rear their young in the dry.

But, as the colony increases in numbers due to breeding each year, some will move down wherever your pond overflows to and build a dam downstream from the backside your pond dam, thus creating a new pond. they are monogamous, have 3-5 young each year and the young reach breeding age at around 2 years so it doesn't take long for the colonies to reach a size that they need to expand the acre ft of water they have available.

Yes, they keep coming back damming our creek. Don't know about elsewhere, but we have to get a permit to trap them. I wouldn't bother if I was doing the trapping, but generally get someone else to come here & harvest them.

I looked at NY regs. That sucks. Looks like a permit is needed to trap/shoot them and at least one more permit needed to remove the dams.

We don't need no stinkin permit....or even a license. I DO have to check the traps at least once every 36 hrs tho.
From Texas.gov:

Landowners or their agents may take nuisance fur-bearing animals in any number by any means at any time on that person's land without the need for a hunting or trapping license. However, fur-bearing animals or their pelts taken for these purposes may not be retained or possessed by anyone at any time except licensed trappers during the lawful open season and possession periods.

Nuisance fur-bearing animals may be captured and relocated if the person has received authorization from the department and the owner of the property where the release will occur. A monthly report is required and must be submitted to the department on number and kind of fur-bearers captured, location of release site, name and address of person authorized to release.

the work never ends..

Just got thru hauling that one to the far end of the property and saw this one when I was crossing back over the dam on the 4 wheeler..without a rifle.

I set a game cam up yesterday evening, near the lodge with the aim at a trail I could tell the beavers had been moving back and forth on. (Lodge is just out of view to the left in these pictures.)

Another tried his luck, I believe is the same one that was on the game cam.
The water has warmed up and this one was in there a bit long. Smelled pretty rank. from 2 days ago.

Pulled the SD card this morning and evidently last time I put the SD card back in and formatted it, I accidentally switched from photo to video and found I now have 8 dead AA batteries that aren't but a few days old, nearly 30gb and about 20 hrs of nothing but 1 bullfrog, a lot of little waves on the water, hrs and hrs of weeds and grass blowing in the wind, one cow that walked in front, and 2 tiny white spiders that crawled across the lens.... them batteries ain't cheap.
:oops: :(

greybeard said:
Pulled the SD card this morning and evidently last time I put the SD card back in and formatted it, I accidentally switched from photo to video and found I now have 8 dead AA batteries that aren't but a few days old, nearly 30gb and about 20 hrs of nothing but 1 bullfrog, a lot of little waves on the water, hrs and hrs of weeds and grass blowing in the wind, one cow that walked in front, and 2 tiny white spiders that crawled across the lens.... them batteries ain't cheap.
:oops: :(
:lol:

Those batteries sure don't last long.....I set one of mine up to just see how much traffic and who was on my road. Kinda boring, but then again interesting looking at the pictures. THose driveway alarms are pretty nice also except for the false alarms sometimes.

Shot 5 on one pond about 3 week ago then go to another pond and counted 5 swimming on it so I killed one of them and was out of the shells, I like to use but got some more now so the other four will be on the hit list.

I dug out 2 dams this spring / end of winter when there was still enough frost to walk the excavator out there. The frost is now gone and the dams are back in place, flooding about 40 acres of hay land. :mad:

Silver said:
I dug out 2 dams this spring / end of winter when there was still enough frost to walk the excavator out there. The frost is now gone and the dams are back in place, flooding about 40 acres of hay land. :mad:

TNT?

The river through here is way to fast and the banks are nearly solid rock. So beavers don't live on my place. Just the occasional one passing through. There is one place about 10 miles up the canyon where the river flattens out and has dirt on the banks. There is a colony of beavers who live there. Last night I took a drive up the canyon. Saw these three beavers sitting on a sand bar there eating willow twigs. They paid no attention to me. I figured GB would like to see what peaceful beavers who aren't bothering anyone look like.