stillborn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a cow that is due any day now . she seems alot skinnier thatn my other pregnant cows(all angus). i am scared that she is going to have a tillborn calf. are there any signs that my show that this is happening. will they go full term if they are going to have a still boirn calf. she might be just going to have a small calf. any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks tommy

If she drinks very cold wter you an sometimes see the calf move on her right side. How long has she looked like this? If it's only a day or so she may be lineing the calf up to have it. Frequently a stillborn calf if it dies early in the gestation doesn't get delivered. It's born when her next calf is born and it's mummified, sortof. If you're really concerned have a vet check her. She/he/it should be able to hear a fetal heartbeat.

dun

tommy":r8zy1w34 said:
i have a cow that is due any day now . she seems alot skinnier thatn my other pregnant cows(all angus). i am scared that she is going to have a tillborn calf. are there any signs that my show that this is happening. will they go full term if they are going to have a still boirn calf. she might be just going to have a small calf. any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks tommy

if she has a stillborn calf or dead calf what should i do about her milk . is there a problem with her full teats that i need to do something with,

tommy

If she does have a dead calf, you can milk out the closotrum and freeze it for future use, then just let her go dry. It depends on what you plan on doing with her. You may be able to graft a calf on her, sell her, milk her for your own use, the possibilities are nearly limitless

dun

When she calves trear her for fluke and worms. She will have a bull calf too late to be worrying about condition now , give her some rolled oats am and pm it will put a bit of heart into calf

eric":hrs0oh99 said:
what would happen if nothing is done? will she dry up on her own with no future harm?

If she's not nursed or milked her milk will just dry up. You don't have to do anything. Is there a chance that she's not bred? She might have already "slipped" the calf and you didn't know it? Hope things go OK.

If she was bigger and now appears smaller and she has milk, are you sure she didn't calve and hide the calf somewhere? If you'r really concerned about the ossibiities I still think you should get a vet to check her out. A vet cost is a lot less then the possibilities of a dead cow.

dun

tommy":qj1jd6ym said:

thanks tommy

Latest posts