Still repairing fences and clean up from ice storm

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
We have been working the last 3 or so weeks on fences. Have gotten the fences up enough to keep the cattle home now just in time they are starting to chase new grass. We have hired some new fence built it has almost doubled from 2 years ago. It is running about 3600 a quarter, if I clear the R/W.( 5 barb. and steel post) Now think I will try to decrease the trees that are close to the fences in case the ice comes again.

What a spoil sport. Making it hard on Ol Ma Nature to cause problems. Shame on you.

hillrancher":3icfjw1b said:
We have been working the last 3 or so weeks on fences. Have gotten the fences up enough to keep the cattle home now just in time they are starting to chase new grass. We have hired some new fence built it has almost doubled from 2 years ago. It is running about 3600 a quarter, if I clear the R/W.( 5 barb. and steel post) Now think I will try to decrease the trees that are close to the fences in case the ice comes again.
Hill where you at in Arkansas I know a bunch of Mo boys that will come build your fence for less than that

I get 70cents pr ft plus material which works out to about $2000 per 1/4 with materials

that is with pipe corners

Materials are running abut $1100 per 1/4

hillrancher":314mjvqr said:

Trees and fences just don't go together you know the rule of trees with 360 degrees in a circle a tree will always fall where it can inflict the most damage if it can't get the house,barn,car, it will settle for a fence. At one time or another I have had a tree on all of them.
We are still repairing from Ike the hangers as we call them here, tops that are broken and still hanging on.
Seems everytime we have a cold front come through or thunder storm it puts one on the fence.

Caustic Burno":3pwn38vn said:
We are still repairing from Ike the hangers as we call them here, tops that are broken and still hanging on.
Seems everytime we have a cold front come through or thunder storm it puts one on the fence.

Unless you clear everything, those widowmakers will continue to fall for years. It's 2 years since the bad icestorm here and we still have them falling. 60 mph winds, ice, snow and time hasn;t gotten them all down yet.

good advice if your having to completely rebuild some fences.id doze the fenceline off.so that you wont have limbs or trees falling on the new fences.