Stihl chansaws arent so tough

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Today while hauling an 18 inch diameter 20 foot long ceder pole suspended from the tractor bucket I drove over the back half of the chainsaw. Darn thing won;t start now. Looks like besides the exterior case that the fuel tank is cracked.

dun":2gcin78h said:
Today while hauling an 18 inch diameter 20 foot long ceder pole suspended from the tractor bucket I drove over the back half of the chainsaw. Darn thing won;t start now. Looks like besides the exterior case that the fuel tank is cracked.

Have a friend who set his saw down while having dozer work done. It failed the dozer back-over test.
Manufacturers need their test procedures to include real-life situations when testings. ;-)

Let me tell you my little experience with stihl saws. I have a small one with a 14 inch bar for light stuff and had a limb fall and hit it breaking the chain guard and a part on the handle. It cost over 50.00 for the two parts to fix it. I dont think the saw was 150.00 new. I bet yours is totaled and would prolly be better buying a new one.

dun":12z3ql65 said:

I suspect the Minnesota girls will make you regret this post.

edit to add: I backed over a $300 jug of herbicide once. I went to the house for the rest of the day.

I dont care for the new stihl saws. I got one a year or two ago and have not used it too much there arent very many trees around here but the bar adjustment is plastic which = junk. It also has the assisted start feature which i dont care for- you dont have to pull as hard. I would say i could start it faster without the assist because it limits the pull and if you need assistance starting it the operater shouldnt be running a saw.

If I were to get a new saw I would get a Husqvarna I have run those and like them or something besides new Stihl model they are made from plastic and dont compare to the older models. At least thats my opinion. Scott

dun":934nxq02 said:
Maybe all the gas leaked out.

Didja turn on the little switch thingy? I've found that it makes quite a bit of difference --particularly in the starting part.........

With that kind of driving, I could hire you for my assistant. Everything around here gets run over at some time or another. :lol:

Your right about the junk dun. My stihl bounced off of my tractor, and I ran over it with the brush hog. The only thing that I was able to salvage was the bar and the fuel cap. JUNK
Mac

S B Knap":11joleg0 said:
If I were to get a new saw I would get a Husqvarna I have run those and like them or something besides new Stihl model they are made from plastic and dont compare to the older models. At least thats my opinion. Scott

I know for a fact that a Husky will not pass the drive over test with a dozer either. The saw was a two year old 55, the dozer was a 22,000 lb Dresser. The only thing that was salvageable was the bar oil. :cry2: I wonder why saw manufactures do not think of these predicaments when they design a saw. :help:

I probably have the worlds largest collection of gas chainsaws for an individual. I have Stihls, Husquvarna, Echos, Homelites, McCulluch and Poulan. In my job I get them free (I am in the electric chainsaw mfg. business and we benchmark the gas models). By far and away the Stihls are the best. No question. Next is the Husquvarna. Then the Echo. The rest are about the same. All but the Stihl and Husquvarna are made in China. When I need a big tree cut I grab the Stihl.

Found the problem. One of the cooling fins broke off and cut into the spark plug wire and grounded it out. All well again now. Just looks ugly with some of the plastic case broken/missing. I guess they are fairly tough after all

dun":2l0kw3nl said:
Found the problem. One of the cooling fins broke off and cut into the spark plug wire and grounded it out. All well again now. Just looks ugly with some of the plastic case broken/missing. I guess they are fairly tough after all

Maybe you need to change the subject line then. I understand it's original intent. We all have done things like that.

As soon as I saw the title I just knew it was going to involve either a tractor or a truck, possibly both.

Ran over my Husky chainsaw once with the truck. Broke off the brake handle. When the saw manufacturers traded metal for plastic, the saws sure got lighter but they just don't last as long and they all seem to leak fluids - even the Stihls.

Have you ever gotten a chain saw stuck in a massive standing tree and couldn't get it out?

BeefmasterB":1tzffgy2 said:
Have you ever gotten a chain saw stuck in a massive standing tree and couldn't get it out?

That's the reason felling wedges were invented. But I have an extra saw if I need to carve one out.

dun":2al4gxp9 said:
BeefmasterB":2al4gxp9 said:

That's the reason felling wedges were invented. But I have an extra saw if I need to carve one out.

This tree was about 60 ft tall and about 3 1/2 ft in diameter. No lean to it. I borrowed a neighbors saw and cut it out.

dun":2hlwtx8t said:

Kinda sounds like things around here... either ugly, old , or tough... or all three combined..But still works. :lol2: :nod:

That happens on a regular occasion for me. I'm always getting pinched in odd shaped leaning hedge trees.

Latest posts