Stiff rear leg

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a five-year-old cow, born here on my place. She had her second calve two months ago, the birth was normal, the calve was small but up and sucking and all has been well. I put out hay last Saturday and noticed that the cow was walking stiff legged on the rear legs. She would take four or five steps then walk normally. I have watched her for a week and there is no improvement. My other cattle are fine at this time. All cattle were vaccinated and wormed three months ago by my vet. Does anyone have any input or experience with this.

Is she with a bull? calved 2 months ago should have her breeding back around now - could have been injured even being rode by other cows.

kerley":3oktkk6t said:
I have a five-year-old cow, born here on my place. She had her second calve two months ago, the birth was normal, the calve was small but up and sucking and all has been well. I put out hay last Saturday and noticed that the cow was walking stiff legged on the rear legs. She would take four or five steps then walk normally. I have watched her for a week and there is no improvement. My other cattle are fine at this time. All cattle were vaccinated and wormed three months ago by my vet. Does anyone have any input or experience with this.

If you see stiffness in the rear legs immediately following partum, it is due to pressure exerted on nerves during delivery. They should recovery. I had one very nice cow that did not. I had her examined by a vet. He advised culling her.

If you did not see it until 2 months after partum, I would not think it was due to delivery.

Can she move her tail? I had a 1st calf heifer that ended up with a pinched nerve from being ridden (and a cow can do just as much damage as a bull). She had a similar walk, could get around okay but clearly something was wrong. Vet said it was possible she would fully recover but estimating up to 6 months. We did sell as a cow-calf pair.